Society of Physics Students
Society of Physics Students (SPS) at Jacksonville University is a vibrant organization which meets regularly to foster a sense of community among the students who are interested in physics and organize various physics related activities that are exciting to a larger audience. It is a local chapter of national Society of Physics Students.
Membership to the Jacksonville University Society of Physics Students is open to all individuals interested in physics. Besides physics majors, the members of our chapter include majors in chemistry, engineering, computer science, mathematics, biology, and others.
Current SPS officers at JU for the 2017/2018 academic year are:
- President: Misha Chalkley (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice President: Jasmine Byard
- Treasurer: Sergio Aponte
- Secretary: Magyanis (Maggie) Ruiz
Sigma Pi Sigma
Sigma Pi Sigma is a national honor society, within the Society of Physics Students (SPS) Chapter, to honor their outstanding scholarship in physics. The honor society was founded in 1921. Jacksonville University Department of Physics has been nominating its students for Sigma Pi Sigma membership since 1970. Election to Sigma Pi Sigma is a lifetime membership. Membership in Sigma Pi Sigma honor society is based upon character and academic and professional attainments, and is not restricted to physics majors.
Minimum requirements for getting nomination for Sigma Pi Sigma membership from Jacksonville University is as follows:
- Completed at least three semesters of full-time college work.
- Completed at least three semester of courses in physics, each of at least three credit hours, which may be credited toward a physics major.
- Must be in upper one third of their college class.
- Must have attained at least 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 system for physics courses and at least 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 system for cumulative course grades in all courses.