Parents & Families


Family New to JU

Welcome to the Jacksonville University family! 

While your student is at JU, you might be curious about things happening on campus or have questions. We hope this site will be a valuable resource to you with useful information, upcoming and annual events information, and important announcements throughout the year. Let us know if there's something you have questions about that you don't see on here; we're here for you!

Connect with the Office of Family Engagement by filling out the Parent and Family Information Form. By registering your family information, you will receive important University communications and monthly e-newsletters containing upcoming event details, important deadlines, campus news and milestones. In addition, you will have access to information about the new, unique programs we are proud to make available to your student.

Parent and Family Information Form

Student Support FAQs

My student called me anxious and upset, where can he/she find help?

There are many options available to students who are feeling anxious, upset, or in any sort of emotional distress. The Counseling Center is available to all students free of charge and offeres in-person or vitual appointments. RAs are also available to assist students during and after their transition to college and residence life. There are always RAs on duty when the Office of Residential Life is closed and they can be reached in an emergency. If the situation is not an emergency, students are encouraged to set up appointments with their RA or stop by during office hours to discuss any problems, concerns, or questions. The Office of Residential Life staff are also more than willing to assist students in any way that they can.


When is the best time for a student to travel home for the first time?

This decision is one that you and your student will have to decide upon together; however, we suggest new students remain on campus during the weekends for the first month or so. This time spent on campus is often the best way for students to develop the friendships that really enrich the college experience.

How often should students come home?

Students will probably not come home very often, choosing rather to come home during longer breaks. As a parent, you can foster and support your student’s success in college by actively encouraging them to stay on campus as much as possible and get involved.

Each student will adapt to college life at different times, and it is certainly not uncommon for students to become homesick. Moving to campus is simply the first big step toward a life of their own, and they will need to learn how to adapt and adjust gradually. They should know that they are not alone, but you should discourage frequent visits home.

If your student does become homesick, the University offers this advice:

  • DO stay in touch with your student! Frequent e-mails and calls will help.
  • DO encourage the student to get involved socially and academically. With so many student organizations and clubs on campus, it’s easy to become a part of what’s happening!
  • DO NOT encourage an early visit back home. Such a visit has been shown to actually increase the feelings of homesickness once the student returns to campus.
  • DO visit your student here on campus. Homecoming & Family Weekend is held in October and is a great opportunity to visit.

If your student’s homesickness persists or seems serious or debilitating, inform an Office of Residential Life staff member.


IT Questions 

Where can my son or daughter go for computer support?

Students can contact the IT Help Desk by phone at (904) 256-7200, by e-mail at, or online at


How does my son or daughter acquire an e-mail account at the University?

They should have received an email from their admissions counselor with their login information and temporary password. If they're unable to find the email or login, tell them to contact the IT Help Desk at (904) 256-7200 or for assistance.


Should students bring a computer to campus with them?

In order to fully benefit from the hybrid instruction model this fall, all current and incoming students must own or have access to a laptop computer and/or other appropriate technology to adequately support access to virtual course work. This also enhances our ability to quickly pivot to online learning formats in response to any health or safety issues that may arise.

To better support students with this requirement, this fall we will launch the Technology Assistance Program, which will help ensure students have the technology and digital tools they need, such as laptops and software. This new program, along with planned upgrades and improvements to Information Technology infrastructure on campus this summer, will enhance students’ ability to succeed in a modern learning environment. 

Wi-fi is available in our student residences, classrooms, study and recreation buildings. We have also included outdoor areas to allow people to take advantage of our great Florida weather. 

Laptop Requirement        See Outdoor Classroom Map

Campus Life FAQs

How safe is the campus?

Jacksonville University is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for our entire campus community. We have an Office of Campus Security staffed with Security Officers who service the campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We also have a partnership with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, which provides JSO officers who patrol campus periodically.

Our campus is gated, and the entrances close nightly so that all traffic entering campus must check in at the Welcome Center. We also have Blue Light Emergency Phones located on specially designed columns around campus so that students can easily contact the Department of Campus Security in an emergency.


Where do students do laundry?

Laundry facilities are available in each residence hall. All laundry machines are free to use. Repair problems on washers and dryers and refunds should be reported to the Office of Residential Life at (904) 256-7538 or


When are the School Breaks?

The Office of the Registrar keeps a full list of all important dates from school breaks, to exam schedules, to tuition payment due dates.

Academic Calendar



    Academic FAQs

How do I find out about my student's grades?

FERPA, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, is a federal law regarding the privacy of student records and access provided to those records. If your student is 18 years of age or older, you do not have access to his or her grades. All students can access their course grades through WebAdvisor, the university's online student information system. Students are able to complete a FERPA form online (Student Authorization to Release Education Records to a Third Party) through their myJU portal to grant a parent access to their records. For the full Student Records policy, please go to our FERPA Information page or review this brochure from the Department of Education. Questions regarding FERPA may be directed to the Registrar's Office.


What services are provided for students who are having academic difficulty?

The causes of disappointing academic performance are diverse, and the sources of help are varied. The best single place for help with an academic concern is the Office of Academic Advising. If help cannot be given directly, the student will be referred to the most appropriate source. The professional advisers are available by phone at (904) 256-7170, by e-mail at, or in person. Walk-in hours are held every day on the first floor of the Howard Building, and students may also make appointments to see advisers.

Faculty advisers are valuable allies to students experiencing difficulties and can provide guidance and support.

The Center for Student Success provides tutoring and helps students develop good study habits.

The Writing Center helps students become stronger writers.


How can my student find out his or her remaining requirements needed for graduation?

Students may make an appointment with an adviser in the Office of Academic Advising to review their degree progress at any time during their four years.

Financial Aid FAQs

How do we find out about financial aid?

The Office of Financial Aid can answer your questions about financial aid, work study, etc. Students who are interested in taking advantage of financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please visit their website at or call (904) 256-7060. 

Get Involved

At Jacksonville University, we invite parents and families to get involved with our Dolphin community. Fill out the parent and family Get PHINvolved! volunteer questionnaire to connect with your student's home away from home during their time at JU and be sure to join the JU Parents and Families Facebook group to connect with other Dolphin families online. Contact the Office of Family Engagement at 904.256.7202 or with specific questions.