- Career Resource Center
- Parents and Families
- Faculty and Staff
- Contact Us
- Fall Events
- Career Track
SUMMER SEMESTER ONLY
Timing of the Internship
Internships are arranged to coincide with one of three academic terms--fall, spring and summer, so that the student can receive academic credit. Student site selection dates are listed below. Students who are selected to participate in the internship program will agree to be onsite between these dates; as an Internship Sponsor you agree to post your positions on or before February 17, 2014. Thus, listing an internship position with our office mid-term is not likely to yield an intern until the following academic term. The academic terms at the college will vary from year to year but generally fall within the following time frames.
Summer Term ......................................... mid-May through early August
Students must register for their academic internships by posted registration deadlines each term. Although this date will vary from year to year, it typically falls during the first week of classes for each term.
To receive the maximum amount of internship credit (6 credit hours) for one semester, a student needs to complete 270 hours at your internship site. Start and end dates will vary from site to site, but a minimum of 180 hours must be accounted for on-site over the course of the semester. Please discuss clearly the anticipated start and end dates with your intern applicants.
Jacksonville University adheres to the national standards for internships set forth by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, NACE and will review your request accordingly.
· The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
· The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
· The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
· There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
· There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
· There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
· There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Additionally the University seeks internship sites that will:
· Offer Opportunity to Develop Specific Skills: Communication, Teamwork & Diversity
· Promote a Safe Work Environment: The internship site shall be responsible for providing the intern with a safe work environment. For safety reasons, interns are not allowed to work out of individual’s homes and door to door canvassing/sales is specifically prohibited.
· Agree to provide all required information to the university’s career development center over the course of the experience.