First Time Students Specialized Advising
For particular student groups Registration Tips & Tutorials Resources and Forms
Founders Building, Suite 10
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
What to Expect Typical Processes
- Apply to Jacksonville University.
- Get accepted.
- Pay the deposit to the Controller's Office. Your file will then be sent to the Advising Center.
- Before registration begins, The Advising Center will send you an email regarding the math placement exam and registration process.
- Once you receive your registration email, please contact The Advising Center at 904-256-7170 and set up an advising appointment. You can choose to either come into our office, or be advised over the phone. Once you are advised, you will then register on-line.
- Prior to your advising appointment, you will be pre-registered in several selected,
appropriate courses for your designated major.
- Depending on your High School/College transcript you may need to take the math placement exam. You will be notified whether the math placement exam is required once the deposit has been received. A link will be sent to you to take the exam online. If the math placement is required, it must be taken before an advising appointment can be made.
- During your advising appointment, you will finalize your complete class schedule through JU's online registration process.
- Meet with Academic Advising before New Student Orientation. Learn more about orientation.
Recognizing the rigor of Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Level certificates of various kinds, Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES), portfolio credit, and military credit programs, Jacksonville University awards up to 32 credits for successful work in these programs. Information on specific classes accepted for credit is available online. All alternative credit must be posted to the transcript before the student begins his or her senior year (90 earned credits or above).
How to Prepare for Your Advising Appointment
- Students enrolling in their first semester at Jacksonville University will need to meet with an Academic Advisor in order to register for their classes. We encourage these appointments to be made prior to New Student Orientation to ensure that each student receives their desired classes as well as class times/days.
- Appointments will need to be rescheduled if a student is more than 15 minutes late for their scheduled time. Please make all efforts possible to alert Academic Advising if you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment or if you will be late. The Advising Center can be reached at (904) 256-7170 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before the appointment with Academic Advising, new students are encouraged to view the major/minor guide sheets for their intended major.
- Browse available classes by visiting My JU. Once there, students and parents are able to search class times/days prior to their appointment.
- Students may also view the weekly class schedule planner prior to their appointment to get a feel for what classes they may want to take and what days/times would work for them.
- If your appointment is via telephone, please be in front of a computer and have your My JU account pulled up. This will be helpful as the Advisor guides you through the registration process. Also, make sure you are in a quiet space with no distractions or outside noises.
Tips for Parents & Family
- Encourage your student to:
- Establish strong relationships with advisors and faculty.
- Get involved in campus clubs and organizations - this provides another connection to campus plus career-related exposure and skills.
- Seek help with difficult classes - tutoring, study skills, test taking, and time management assistance are all available on campus.
- Maintain open communication about grades and academic progress.
- Although it may seem helpful, refrain from selecting or choosing a major for your student. Instead, help your student focus on personal interests, skills, like and dislikes, and how these fit with the world of work.
Please feel free to ask any and all questions by calling the Academic Advising office at (904) 256-7170 or sending an email to email@example.com. Welcome to JU, and go Dolphins!