We Are Open and Available to Help!
In order to meet the needs of our students while keeping your health and safety in mind, we will be offering academic advising several ways:
Web/video advising: Meet face-to-face via Zoom video conference and have the ability to share your screen and navigate useful resources together with your advisor. Schedule an appointment online!
Email advising: Send your advisor an email inquiry and receive a written response. Make sure to include your name, student ID, and contact information.
Attention New Students:
If you've been admitted to JU for the fall semester, you will be contacted by the Registrar about your schedule and follow-up advising appointment. We will contact you to arrange an initial advising appointment, as your class schedule should be developed prior to meeting with an advisor.
What is the Academic Advising Center?
Academic advising is an on-going process that assists students in developing and pursuing educational and career goals and achieving academic success. We assist students in academic planning, problem-solving, and informed decision-making while providing the information, tools, and resources students need to be self-directed in navigating their academic journey.
Who We Serve
The Academic Advising Center provides academic advising to all freshmen and sophomore students, as well as first-semester transfer students. Students are assigned a professional academic advisor according to their major. Students who have not yet identified a major are advised by a specialized advisor who can help in exploring options and deciding on an academic path.
Juniors and seniors are assigned a faculty advisor according to their major. Faculty advisors are located within their academic departments, and are available to help students understand major requirements, select appropriate courses based on interest and content, and provide support and assistance to students outside of the classroom.
The Academic Advising Center provides services to help students achieve academic success, including:
- New student advising – learn about degree requirements, resources, and options and plan your first-semester course schedule.
- Continuing student advising (freshmen and sophomores) – develop a long-term academic plan, address successes and challenges, explore academic options including majors and minors.
- Group registration events – learn how to navigate the Student Planning portal, schedule of classes, and registration process.
- Targeted events – take advantage of events that help with deciding on a major, exploring Pathways of Distinction (PODs), or focus on a special interest topic.
The mission of the Academic Advising Center is to provide support and direction to Jacksonville University’s undergraduate students in order to facilitate personal, academic, and professional growth and promote informed decision-making.
Through establishing positive, ongoing relationships and engaging in comprehensive, holistic advising, the Academic Advising Center will positively impact the student experience by providing resources, programs, and services to meet diverse student needs while delivering personalized attention and displaying compassion.
Contact the Academic Advising Center
- Office location Howard Administration Building, first floor
- Office hours Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Telephone number (904) 256-7170
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax number (904) 256-7171