The Writing Center is moving!
Beginning August 23 the Writing Center will be located in the Library in room 308. This is adjacent to the Academic Support Center. All functions of the Writing Center will remain the same. We hope you will come and visit our new location when you need assistance with your writing assignments.
Three ways to get assistance with your writing assignments:
- Email submission. You can email your paper and a copy of the assignment instructions to WCenter@ju.edu (see the online submissions link as well).
- In-person appointments. If you are planning on coming by for a tutorial, remember to bring your mask, as masks are mandatory.
- Virtual tutoring appointments. You can speak with and share a document with a writing tutor through Bb Collaborate during the regular Writing Center hours.
We have PCs available for your use in the Writing Center, or you can bring your laptop. Let’s be safe, and get back to work together!
The Writing Center provides peer tutoring for any assignment that includes a written component. While most often we deal with essays, we also can help with reports, literature reviews, group projects, etc. from any discipline. If you must write, we can help! Though the majority of our sessions deal with drafts that have already been completed, you are welcome to stop by at any point in the writing process, and to visit early and often. We can help you get started, locate sources, establish a clear thesis, integrate research, cite your sources, create a works cited… anything at all that is related to the writing process.
Tutorials can be scheduled in advance online, by stopping by the center, or by calling during our open hours. Walk-ins are accepted, but students with scheduled appointments are always given priority. When you arrive for your tutorial, please bring whatever writing you have accomplished thus far along with information regarding the assignment (an assignment sheet, an email or announcement, the text from Blackboard or the syllabus, etc.).
In addition to the individual sessions, the Writing Center supports writing across the University curriculum and hopes to offer the following resources (based on tutor scheduling and availability):
- Classroom presentations on topics such as thesis validity, revision strategies, peer review, essay organization, etc.
- Computer use for research
- Writing Mentors: Tutors are available to work with classes during writing workshops and conferences (dependent upon scheduling)
Schedule an Appointment
Office locatio Library 308
- OR use the Starfish link Writing Center
Would you like to speak with someone in the center?
Call (904) 256-7353
For additional information, contact our Director:
Dr. Lee Ann Clements, Director Academic Support Center