How to Become a Writing Consultant
What is a Writing Consultant?
In short, writing consultants help students work through how they can revise their writing. This means that writing consultants read student papers, or have students read them aloud. Writing consultants ask questions about those papers to help students clarify their focus, organize their writing, and support their ideas. Writing consultants assist students in identifying problem areas of grammar and punctuation. Because writing consultants are not teachers or editors, they do not grade or fix student papers. Rather, they ask questions and give feedback to students toward improving their writing. Writing consultants have developed skills to be effective and efficient communicators via different modalities and different situations (i.e., one-on-one meetings, both in person and online, and in small- and large-group interactions). Lastly, writing consultants are subject matter experts in formatting using APA 7th, MLA, and Chicago Style manuscripts. They help students locate strong external resources to help them further develop their writing skill set.
Benefits to Becoming a Writing Consultant
- Help other students achieve academic success
- Build your resume
- Reinforce material you've learned & hone your own study skills
- Pay Rate ($13/hour)
Writing Consultant Eligibility
- Be currently enrolled at Jacksonville University.
- Must be classified as a sophomore, or junior.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Knowledge and demonstrative experience with APA 7th, MLA, and Chicago writing styles.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge in the field of writing.
- Show a deep desire to help others with their learning process.
- Punctuality, generosity, flexibility, personal organization, and professional conduct.
- Have great initiative and a strong work ethic.
How to Apply
We are now beginning the hiring process for Spring 2024. If you are interested in becoming a writing consultant please fill out the required documents attached below and email them to Kylie Guernick at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Kylie Guernick at 904.256.7123 to further inquire about becoming a writing consultant. Faculty, please email your completed reference forms directly to Dr. Cortez, the Director of the Writing and Academic Support center (email@example.com). Thank you.
|Writing Consultant Application Packet
|Faculty Reference Form