Master of Education in Reading Education
This program is not accepting any new applications.
About the Program
Our program is committed in making differences in K-12 children’s literacy experiences at the classroom, district, and state levels. Our goal is to prepare highly-qualified teachers of reading who can critique and synthesize reading theory, apply diagnostic assessments, and incorporate instructional practices into curricular programs to enrich K-12 children’s educational outcomes.
- 8-week sessions (6-credits summer, 6-credits fall, 6-credits spring)
- 36-credits, completed in two years
- All classes offered fully online
- Enrollment is selective and limited to 20 students per year
- Use of research approaches to immediately transform practice. Students conceptualize, plan, conduct, and report research completed in complex educational settings that investigate literacy interventions to make positive differences in K-12 children's reading outcomes.
- K-12 teachers
- District leaders
- Teach for America educators
- Charter teachers
- Other educators
*Highly selective process limited to educators who demonstrate a commitment to the profession of education and who show promise to make positive differences in the field of reading education.
Program prepares educators to work with struggling readers, adolescent learners, and special needs students, to respond to urban literacy issues, and to use various digital technologies to better engage today's students. Graduates are prepared to take on leadership roles and positions in the area of reading education in their communities and school districts.
Required Sequence of Courses (36 Credits)
- READ 501: Foundations of Elementary Reading Instruction (3)
- READ 505: Methods of Teaching Elementary Language Arts (3)
- READ 510: Administration and Interpretation of Reading Assessment (3)
- READ 515: Techniques of Corrective of Remedial Reading (3)
- READ 520: Supervised Reading Practicum I (3)
- READ 525: Educational Reading Research (3)
- READ 530: Diagnosis of Reading Disabilities (3)
- READ 535: Literature for Children and Adolescents (3)
- READ 540: Foundations of Secondary Reading Instruction (3)
- READ 545: Educational Measurement (3)
- READ 550: Supervised Reading Practicum II (3)
- READ 555: Designing Reading Programs (3)
- Successful completion of required courses
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Passing score on the Reading Subject Area Specialization of the Florida Certification Exam, unless currently certified in reading.
Decision for Acceptance and Admission Requirements
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee
- A completed graduate admission application form
- Official copies of all college transcripts.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum two (2) years teaching experience preferred.
- Copy of Professional Teaching Certificate or demonstration of eligibility for Temporary Teaching Certificate.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals in the field of education.
- A 250-word letter of interest, stating goals and purposes for pursuing degree. Copy of resume.
- Undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher graduate GPA on last 60 credits completed in upper division courses.
- Maximum of six (6) graduate credit hours relevant to the program with an earned grade of "B" or higher may be transferred from an accredited college or university as approved by program director.
- Submission of an official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report.
- Demonstrated access to a personal computer, high-speed internet connection, and an email account.
Other Levels of Study
Complete first five classes (15 credits) to qualify for State of Florida Reading Endorsement only. Does not fulfill M.Ed. requirements.
Complete any course for recertification credit.
Per Approval by Program Director
Jacksonville University Elementary Education Program Graduates and other graduates of Florida teacher education programs with earned reading endorsements (must show required courses on transcript) complete second year of courses to qualify for Florida Reading Certification only. Does not fulfill M.Ed. requirements.
For more information contact Dr. Tammy Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org or send application materials to:
Dr. Tammy Ryan
School of Education
2800 University Boulevard North
Jacksonville, FL 32211-3394