Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The TESOL Graduate Certificate at Jacksonville University prepares current and prospective ELTs (English Language Teachers) with the core knowledge of the linguistics and language education to support their professional practice and careers.
This certificate is suitable for those who wish to serve the needs of English language learners (ELLs) in a variety of settings, either overseas or in the US, including ESL (English as a Second language) and EFL (English as a Foreign language), amongst adult learners and young learners. Courses are 100% online and consist of classroom pedagogy and required laboratory applications structured to provide the graduate student with research based practices and application.
Note: This program is a standalone certificate awarded by Jacksonville University School of Education. This program should not be confused with the State Department of Education’s endorsement in ESOL for teaching in Florida public schools.
The Graduate level APR-TESOL Certificate is open to non-degree students who have achieved at least a bachelor's degree and/or current JU graduate students. No previous training in linguistics is required for admission. However, a background in a second or a foreign language is preferred.
- Completed Application
- Official Transcript from graduation bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited
- An overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale in graduate level course work.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Professional goals statement (less than 500 words)
The graduate TESOL program requires 18 credit hours, 6 TESOL foundation courses, run by 100% on-line, and 8 weeks per course. It takes 1 year to complete the entire graduate TESOL certificate program.
- EDU 515: Application of Cross Cultural Communication and Understanding
- EDU 554: Application of Methods in Teaching TESOL
- EDU 555: Design and Application of Curriculum and Materials
- EDU 556: Demonstration of Applied Linguistics in TESOL
- EDU 558: Applications in Testing and Evaluation of TESOL
- EDU 559: Applications in Clinical TESOL Settings
Our tuition rate is competitive with other TESOL programs in the area. For tuition information, please visit the JU tuition page.
Alice Ahyea Jo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Education; Director of English Language Program; ESOL &TESOL Coordinator
- Telephone number (904) 256-7218
- Email address email@example.com