At Jacksonville University, mathematics students know that mathematics is a tool for learning and understanding so much about the world we live in. Here, math is applied. Math goes beyond the numbers. Math is even fun! By participating in a national mathematical modeling contest and by publishing their own irreverent notes in the Math Madness newsletter, JU’s math students explore the most fascinating aspects of this complex field.
Along their journey, JU mathematics students learn from the best. Students also use the latest in technology resources – calculators, computers and software – to tackle math challenges large and small. Most classes are taught in computerized classrooms and place an emphasis on the application of mathematics to real-world problems.
JU also has excellent opportunities for learning beyond the classroom. Mathematics students often participate in team and individual competitions, in the mathematics club, and in relevant internships and research projects.
Goals & Objectives
- To offer mathematics majors a range of courses and experiences that emphasize active learning and the use of technology, preparing our majors for graduate school or a mathematically-related career
- Expose students to theoretical and applied mathematical concepts, emphasizing the importance of written and oral communication of mathematics
- Engage students in active learning experiences involving a variety of mathematical techniques including modeling real-world phenomena using mathematics
- Engage students in using appropriate technology to understand and apply various mathematical concepts to solve theoretical and real-world mathematical problems
- Encourage students to pursue undergraduate research experiences in mathematics, fostering student presentation of research at national and regional forums
For additional or specific information, you can write, call or e-mail us:
Dr. Erika Ward, Chair & Associate Professor of Mathematics
- PENT 209
- Telephone number (904) 256-7166
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org