Faculty & Staff Directory
College of Arts & Sciences
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Peter Zhao
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Ph.D., Wichita State University (2005)
- B.Sc., University of Science & Technology of China (2000)
- Introduction to Chemistry Survey
- General Chemistry
- Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Reaction mechanism of Coordination Compounds
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Green Revolution: Challenges and Opportunities
- Senior Project
My inorganic research focuses on synthesis and characterization of multi-dentate transition metal complexes, which contribute to the sciences of the new century – material and bioinorganic sciences. Multi-dentate ligands such as polypyrazolylborate, poly(1,2,4-triazolyl)borate, and polythioimidazolylborate are designed and synthesized due to their versatility and potential binding capability. Structures, properties, and reactivities of transition metal complexes from the series of ligands can be varied by changing either the center metal ion or the peripheral ligand substituents, leading to the formation of molecular materials with bulky properties, or bioactive molecules that can help understand natural bioinorganic mechanism.
I have also developed a research interest in science education, focusing on inquiry-based, student-centered teaching strategies to promote students’ metacognitive learning, leading to awakened life-long learners. While inquiry-based instruction motivates students to close the gap between superficial and real learning, they also need guidance in developing effective learning strategies through metacognition.
1. Zhao, N., Adeyemi, A., Pompilius, A., “4-Cyano-3,5-bis(phenyl)pyrazole”, IUCrData, 2017, 2, x171257.
2. Zhao, N., Wardeska, J., McGuire, S., Cook, E., “Metacognition: An Effective Tool to Promote Success in General Chemistry”, J. Col. Sci. Teaching, 2014, 43(4),48.
3. Zhao, N., Witzig, S., Adams, J., Weaver, J. & Schmidt, F., “Transformative Professional Development: Inquiry-based College Science Teaching Institutes”, J. Col. Sci. Teaching, 2012, 41(3), 18.
4. Zhao, N., Wardeska, J., “Mini-journal Inquiry Laboratory – A Case Study in a General Chemistry Kinetics Experiment”, J. Chem. Educ. 2011, 88, 452.
5. Zhao, N., Van Stipdonk, M. J., Stern, C. & Eichhorn, D. M., “Cyanoscorpionates: Synthesis and Crystallographic Characterization of a One-Dimensional Cu(I) Coordination Polymers”, Inorg. Chem. 2008, 47, 5945.