Faculty & Staff Directory
Division of Social Sciences
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Jesse Hingson
Professor of History
Chair, Division of Social Sciences
- Ph.D., Latin American History, Florida International University, 2003
- M.A., United States History, Marshall University, 1996
- B.A., History, Marshall University, 1993
Fields Of Study
- Latin American history
- Family history
- United States-Latin American relations
- The Modern World (HIST 150)
- The Technique of History (HIST 300WI)
- Colonial Latin American History
- Modern Latin American History
- United States-Latin American Relations
- Argentina (HIST 355)
- Brazil (HIST 356)
Selected Publications, Awards, and Service
- "Childhood Memories and the Politics of Justice in Post-Rosas Argentina: The Restitution Suit of Olalla Alvarez," Girls in the World: A Global Anthology, edited by Jennifer Helgren and Colleen A. Vasconcellos (Piscataway, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2010), 105-123.
- "Open Veins, Hidden Transcripts: The National Security Archive as a Tool for Critical Pedagogy in the College Classroom," Radical History Review, Issue 102 (Fall 2008), 90-98.
- "Love and Authority in Argentina (Nineteenth Century)," in Children and Youth in World History, edited by Miriam Forman-Brunell and Kelly Schrum. Washington, DC: Center for History and New Media, 2008.
- "Mexico," "Afro-Mexican Identity," "Industrialization," "Truth and Reconciliation Commissions," "Paraguay," and "Uruguay" in Africa and the Americas: History, Culture, and Politics (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC Clio, 2008).
- "'Savages' Into Supplicants: Subversive Women and Restitution Petitions in Córdoba, Argentina during the Rosas Era," The Americas 64, no. 1 (July 2007), 59-85.
- "Bibliographical Sources on Africans in Mexico and Argentina," with Roberto Pacheco. Papers of the Fiftieth Annual Meeting of the Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials (2005).
- University of Florida, Latin American and Caribbean Center, 2011
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Global Advisory Board on the History of Childhood, 2007-2009
- Fund for the Improvement of Secondary Education (FIPSE) Grant, U.S. Department of Education, 2003-2004
- Fulbright Scholarship, Institute of International Education, Argentina, 1999-2000
- Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, Title VI, U.S. Department of Education, 1997-1999
- Treasurer, Florida Conference of Historians
- Assessment Coordinator, History Department (JU)