Faculty & Staff Directory
School of Social Sciences & Education
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Heather Downs
Associate Professor Sociology
- Ph.D., Sociology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A., Communication, University of Ilinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.A., Communication, with a minor in Women's Studies, Loyola University-Chicago, magna cum laude
- Language and culture study, Loyola University Rome Center, Rome, Italy
Fields Of Study
- Gender, race/ethnicity
- Inequality and social class
- Popular culture
- Introductory Sociology (SOC 203)
- Social Problems (SOC 304)
- Minority Relations (SOC 325)
- Sociology of the Family (SOC 350)
- Sociology of Men and Women (SOC 365)
- Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll (SOC 400)
- Careers in Sociology (SOC 400)
- Sociology of Disney (SOC 400)
- Sociology of College (SOC 400)
- Sociology of Latin America (Costa Rica) (SOC 400)
- Sociological Theory (SOC 450)
Selected Publications, Awards, and Service
- Excellence in Service to Students Award
- Excellence Award in Teaching
- Professor of the Month
- Ally of the Year
- Dissertation: "Crafting Culture: Scrapbooking and the Lives of Women"
- Outstanding Club Advisor Award
- Tim Shakespeare Staff Award
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Fellowship
- Alpha Kappa Delta (Sociology Honor Society)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Honor Society)
- Served on the committee for the Jacksonville Community Council Incorporated's Race Relations Progress Report.
- Downs, Heather. 2008. "Race-Blind Policies," Encyclopedia of Social Problems. Edited by V. Parrillo. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Stevens, Gillian and Heather Downs. 2006. "Diversity," Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology. Edited by G. Ritzer. Cambridge: Blackwell.