The JU Research and Scholarship Symposium
The JU Symposium is a research and scholarship conference for JU students. The goal is to provide an opportunity for all JU students (freshmen-graduate students) to present their work in a professional setting. This experience provides an opportunity for JU students to enhance their written and oral communication skills through a formal conference presentation. This platform also helps students develop their presentation skills in the digital world.
Event Date: Tuesday, March 26th, 2023 - Wednesday, March 27th, 2024
Abstract Deadline: Friday, March 8th, 2024
Abstracts for class poster sessions may be sent directly by the course instructor to Dr. Bielmyer-Fraser (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with the time preference.
- Please send abstracts to the specified faculty representatives (listed below).
- Faculty representatives will send acceptance emails to students by March 15, 2024.
- Symposium schedule will be posted to the JU website by March 19, 2024.
- Presentation formats include: Oral presentation, poster presentation, or art showcase display.
- Visit the following website for more information: Undergraduate Research
Students will e-mail their abstracts and availability sheets to a faculty representative who will review the abstracts for quality and correct formatting. The projects should be research based. For example, students who have collected data in an independent study project would fall into this category. Abstracts should be 250 words or less, with 12-point font in Times New Roman style. Please see the sample abstract for proper formatting.
- Dr. Irina Toteva (Business) –email@example.com
- Dr. Kristen Izaryk (Communication Sciences and Disorders) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Steven Davis (Education) – email@example.com
- Dr. Shannon Lockwood (Fine Arts) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Wenying Xu (Humanities) - email@example.com
- Dr. Jeff Wight (Exercise Science) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Lila de Tantillo (Nursing) – email@example.com
- Dr. Kara Conway and Dr. William Penwell (Science and Math) – firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Dr. Ashley Johnson (Social Sciences and Education) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Ross Stephenson (Aviation) - email@example.com
- Dr. Sundari Ramabhotla (Engineering and Technology) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Every spring, a research symposium is sponsored for the public presentation of the results of students’ research and creative projects. Students also have opportunities to submit their work for presentation at state, regional, and national conferences in their disciplines and at the National Council on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) conference. Learn more about other research events.
- Symposium Abstract Template
- Sample Abstract
- Symposium Poster presentation Example Template
- Symposium Podium presentation Example Template
IRB Guidance, Instructions, and Applications
- Class Projects or Activities Involving Human Subjects Guidelines
- Option 1-Application for Class Activities or Projects that do not Require IRB/ORSP Oversight
- Option 2- Application for Class Projects or Activities that Require IRB/ORSP Oversight
Swisher Library Research Symposium Resources
The Jacksonville University Swisher Library is offering Research Symposium Workshops and other resources. More information can be found at the following website: https://library.ju.edu/symposium
The 2021 JU Faculty & Student Symposium took place in a virtual format on Monday, April 19, 2021- Tuesday, April 20, 2021.
The 2020 JU Faculty & Student Symposium took place on Monday, March 23, 2020- Tuesday, March 24, 2020 in Conference Rooms B & C in the Davis College of Business & Technology.
The 2019 JU Faculty & Student Symposium took place on Monday, April 1 and Tuesday, April 2 in Conference Rooms B & C in the Davis College of Business & Technology.
The 2018 JU Faculty & Student Symposium took place on Thursday, March 29, and Friday, March 30, in Conference Rooms B & C in the Davis College of Business & Technology.
The 2017 JU Faculty & Student Symposium took plate on Monday, April 3, and Tuesday, April 4, in Conference Rooms B & C in the Davis College of Business & Technology.