Disability Support Services
Welcome to the office of Disability Support Services (DSS) at Jacksonville University. The DSS works with JU faculty and staff to ensure that reasonable accommodations are made to allow students an equal opportunity to learn in the classroom and to have access to all areas of the JU campus.
What Does DSS Do?
The mission of the Office of DSS is to support students with disabilities in removing barriers in pursuing excellence in education.
JU recognizes that some disabilities are primarily physical, while others are psychological or involve specific disabilities of the learning process. Available resources include:
- Assistance with course scheduling
- Adjustments to full-time status requirements
- Coordination of services with other University departments such as Residential Life and Counseling Services
- Counseling in faculty/peer relations
- Guidance in lifestyle management
- Community agency referrals
- Assistance with Housing and/or Dietary needs and accommodations. For more information, click on the following link https://www.ju.edu/residentiallife/accommodations/index.php
Accommodations in the classroom may include, but are not limited to:
- Priority seating
- Change of classroom
- Ability to audio record lectures
- Extra time for tests
- Alternative test formats, etc.
If you seek assistance or request "reasonable accommodations" under the ADA Section 504 Act, you must provide complete medical and/or psychological documentation to the Director for Disability Support Services. Documentation must be current - not more than three years old. Requests for "reasonable accommodations" must be done in a timely manner so faculty/staff can plan for the accommodations. Students with disabilities are responsible for maintaining the same academic levels as other students, maintaining appropriate behavior and providing timely notifications of special needs. Students must request "reasonable accommodations" each semester of enrollment to receive the accommodations.
Students with hearing and speech related disabilities should call the Florida Relay Service at 1-800-955-8771 for TDD assistance.
All documentation files are considered confidential and securely stored. Students’ names and information are kept confidential and are not released to anyone without the student’s prior written permission.
Disability Support Services Office
- Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone number +1 (904) 256-7787