Frequently Asked Questions by Students

Yes, any student who wishes to receive any type of accommodations must go through the registration process in order to receive accommodations at Jacksonville University.

  • Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder/Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Learning Disability
  • Physical/Mobility Impairment
  • Psychological Disorder
  • Speech Impairment
  • Visual Impairment
  • Temporary medical conditions, among others
  • Advice on classroom accommodations
  • Liaison to Faculty; i.e., assistance to faculty on how to effectively work with students with disabilities
  • Professor notification of a student with disability (only with student’s permission)
  • Readers
  • Peer Note takers
  • Sign language interpreters
  • Adaptive exam accommodations
  • Print materials
  • Study strategy instruction
  • Accessible buildings, classrooms, and housing. Housing accommodations must be requested well in advance of registration for classes.
  • Assistance with registering an Emotional Support Animal

Yes, you are required to meet with one of the DSS counselors in order to activate your accommodations for each term.

Yes, you can add and/or change your approved accommodations, as long as your documentation supports the need for a new accommodation or a change to one you have already been approved for.

All students are encouraged to request and provide the accommodation letters to their professors at the begining of each term and as a guideline, any request for accommodations made to professors (especially for testing purposes), need to be turned in 4-5 business days before it will be needed.

For more information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a student who receives accommodations, click on the following link to access the ADA "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities". 


Service and Emotional Support Animals Questions 

Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability.  The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

No. According to ADA, these terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

For more information regarding Service animals and/or Emotional support animals and the ADA guidelines, please click on the following link about the "Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA".