Undergraduate Admissions - Visual and Media Arts
The Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts welcomes all applicants to audition for programs in Dance, Music, Music Theatre or Theatre, or to submit a portfolio for review for programs in Media Arts and Visual Arts. An audition or portfolio review is required of all prospective students to the College. Please note that you must apply to Jacksonville University before submitting your audition or portfolio review.
Auditions and portfolio reviews for Fall 2021 admission will be conducted electronically for review in four cycles. To ensure full consideration, be sure your materials are submitted on or before the deadline for your chosen admission cycle:
November 6, 2020 - February 5, 2021 - March 6, 2021 - April 2, 2021
In addition to the electronic audition cycles, in-person, on-campus auditions will be held for Dance, Music, Music Theatre and Theatre on the following dates:
March 6, 2021 - April 2, 2021
Registration will close two weeks prior to each audition and portfolio review date.
The portfolio review will be a short, private meeting with faculty members. While an in-person review is recommended, electronic reviews with telephone contact prior to review are also accepted. Your portfolio should consist of 10 to 20 examples (2 to 5 for film) of recently completed art work, which reflects your interests, experience, and abilities. The portfolio has three parts: Contact Information, Artist Statement of Intent or Director’s Statement, and Artwork Samples.
Part 1 – Contact Information
Please include all of the following:
- Mailing Address
- Contact Telephone Number
- Email address
Part 2 – Artist Statement or Statement of Creative Practice
Include a short 150-300 word statement summarizing your artistic and creative interests. Be sure to answer/address the following:
- Name an area of intended concentration chosen from the following list:
- B.F.A. in Animation
- B.F.A. in Art – Concentrations include Ceramics, Glass, Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography, or Sculpture
- B.A. in Art – Concentrations include Art History, Ceramics, Glass, Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography, or Sculpture
- B.A. in Film
- Who are you (who do you want to be) as an artist, designer, or filmmaker?
- Clarify your media choices (why do you work in your media of choice?)
- What do you look to gain from your undergraduate studies in visual arts?
- Where do you see your work going conceptually or thematically, and what do you wish to communicate through your work?
Part 3 – Artwork Samples
For in-person portfolio reviews or when submitting physical portfolios for review, submit 10 to 20 examples (2 to 5 for film) of recently completed artwork and a numbered image list with title, medium, size (in inches or pixels) and date of completion using the following guidelines:
- 2-Dimensional works – physical samples are desired, un-mounted originals.
- 3-Dimensional works, physical samples are desired.
- 4-Dimensional (time based) works – digital files or web links for animations, web design, films, etc.
Note: For all media, if physical samples are unavailable, hard copy digital prints or a digital portfolio/electronic submission, as described below, will be acceptable.
Physical Portfolios, submitted by mail or drop off, are reviewed within the Division of Visual Arts and returned to Admissions for student retrieval.
If submitting your portfolio electronically, combine works into a single PDF, with high-resolution images.
PDF entitled (FIRST_LAST NAME_PORTFOLIO) Should include: Contact Information, Artist Statement/Statement of Creative Practice, and a Portfolio of Artwork Samples (10-20 digital images in a single pdf file, maximum 10MB; include image captions with media, dimensions, and dates for each image; video files where applicable are acceptable; embed hyperlink in pdf to location of video files, i.e. youtube or vimeo)
If you have a portfolio website, we will review that in lieu of a physical or .pdf portfolio, but the website must have your contact information published with your portfolio.
Email electronic portfolios to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: FIRST LAST NAME_Visual Art Portfolio). Please limit pdf files to 10MB. If necessary multiple emails may be sent to complete application components.
For added guidance on producing your portfolio, you can view a video tutorial on electronic portfolio production here: https://youtu.be/CdLFMT6kDec and one on saving to pdf here: https://youtu.be/VrMWoyWk_VU.
How, When & Where
Electronic Audition & Review for All Programs
- Admission Cycle 1 – through November 6, 2020. Register for Admission Cycle 1
- Admission Cycle 2 – November 7, 2020 through February 5, 2021. Register for Admission Cycle 2
- Admission Cycle 3 – February 6, 2021 through March 6, 2021. Register for Admission Cycle 3
- Admission Cycle 4 – March 7, 2021 through April 2, 2021. Register for Admission Cycle 4
In-Person Audition for Dance, Music, Music Theatre and Theatre
- Saturday, March 6, 2021. Register for March 6, 2021 In-Person Audition
- Friday, April 2, 2021. Register for April 2, 2021 In-Person Audition
Check-in for in-person auditions will be at Terry Concert Hall.