Master of Fine ArtsVisual Arts
Graduate Visual Arts ProgramWhy Choose Our program?
At Jacksonville University, our MFA in Visual Arts program will challenge you, immerse you in new knowledge and skills, expand on what you already know, help fine-tune your creative energies into artistic skills, and prepare you to take the next step in your career as a professional. With highly qualified faculty and ample studio space, Jacksonville University’s MFA in Visual Arts could be the perfect fit for you and your artistic needs.
Fine-Tune Your Creative Energies
JU's Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts helps you fine-tune your artistic abilities and supports you on your creative journey.
- The online delivery method enables active working artists to advance creative practice within a supportive academic community. The program includes a two-week “bootcamp” in the summer sessions that are strategically located as an immersive kick starter. This format is designed for working artists who prefer greater flexibility in course work without required travel to Jacksonville.
- Studios on Jacksonville University campus are available upon request during the summer sessions.
- Offers a 2-year or 3-rotation
- Consists of only 10 students in the cohort model
- Is one of only a few programs in the southeast and is cost-competitive
- Has a military resource center for students using VA benefits
- Students are often eligible for tuition reimbursement to help cover program costs through their workplace
About Our Program
Jacksonville University’s MFA allows you to practice any medium of your choice or a path of interdisciplinary studies, including but not limited to:
- Mixed Media
- Visual and Graphic Design
JU offers students two residency options.
- Low-Residency: Completely online, with a four-week summer residency that includes a two-week summer
bootcamp in JU's state-of-the-art facilities
- This is a great option for teachers, whose schedules allow them to be available for residency in the summer
- No-Residency: Completely online, with a virtual option during the residency
- This allows you to keep working in your career, with no interruptions
The MFA in Visual Arts can prepare you for a wide variety of careers. Many of our students go on to teach for colleges and universities. Some of our recent graduates have also gone on to work as museum curators, practicing artists, nonprofit arts programmers, and educators at the K-12 level.
AdmissionsHow to Apply
Applications for Summer 2024 are now open
For additional questions, further information, please contact the Associate Director of Admissions, Kyrstin Creswell, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A bachelor's degree in art or a related field. is required. Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a subject other than art or a related field would be required to show significant professional experience on their application.
- Complete the online JU application
- Official transcripts of academic work from all institutions attended
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Artist's Statement (This should include artistic goals for the period of study)
- Portfolio (2-10 representations of your work)
"I have always felt like I was part of a tightly knit community. The professors have gone above and beyond, not only to support me during a difficult year but also help me cultivate my own artistic vision and strengths. I have grown professionally, artistically, and intellectually through the education offered by the JU program."
Contact Information Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts & Humanities
Phone: (904) 256-7000