Faculty & Staff Directory
School of Applied Health Sciences
2800 University Blvd N
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If there is a problem with your profile or information, or if you want to opt out of inclusion in the directory, please let us know.
Dr. Carena Winters
Director of Exercise is Medicine® and Associate Professor of Kinesiology
Areas of Specialization
Exercise is Medicine®, exercise epidemiology, exercise in the prevention and management of chronic disease
- Ph.D., Exercise Physiology, University of Pittsburgh
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh
- BS, Psychology, Eastern Kentucky University
- BS, Adult Fitness, Eastern Kentucky University
- Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist, American College of Sports Medicine
- Level III Credential, Exercise is Medicine
Dr. Carena Winters is an expert in the areas of Exercise is Medicine® and Exercise Physiology. She earned her doctorate and Master’s in Public Health from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Winters was a faculty member at Slippery Rock University from 2009-2017. She is currently an Associate Professor at Jacksonville University in the Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences and a leader in JU’s Healthy Campus and Exercise is Medicine on Campus® (EIM-OC) initiatives. Dr. Winters launched the Global EIM-OC initiative in May 2009 with Robert E. Sallis, M.D., FACSM, and is a member of the Global EIM Advisory Board. Dr. Winters is an ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-CEP), with the EIM Level III Credential. Dr. Winters’ passion is sharing her knowledge of exercise physiology, epidemiology, and the Exercise is Medicine® initiative in the classroom and the community.