Davis College of Business & TechnologyDoctor of Business Administration
What is a DBA?
The DBA is a professional doctorate that prepares business leaders to approach problems in new ways with high-level training in real-world research and analysis skills. The degree is ideal for advancing in your current career or transitioning to a teaching position in higher education.
At Jacksonville University, the DBA program:
- Offers one-on-one advising, graduate tutoring, an extensive mentorship program, and dissertation publishing assistance, ensuring that you feel supported through the entire DBA process
- Provides you networking opportunities with successful past DBA graduates and business industry leaders, as well as connecting you with potential post-graduate job opportunities
- Helps you cultivate skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and research, so you are prepared for a successful career in a variety of roles including consultant, entrepreneur, C-level executive, writer/author, or college professor
start your application
FALL 2024 Deadlines
|Deadline or date
|April 1, 2024
|May 1, 2024
virtual information session
You can now request recordings of past virtual information sessions that you can view at any time, no scheduling required. Learn more about our program, hear from faculty, and better understand the admissions process.
Experience The JU AdvantageWhy a JU DBA?
- Our students benefit from strong partnerships with the local business community, including organizations such as Florida Blue, Miller Electric, TIAA Bank, Bank of America, Fifth Third Bank, Black Knight, Mayo Clinic, Baptist Healthcare, Memorial Hospital, and many others.
- Our DBA faculty are highly qualified academic scholars who continuously publish academic research and have studied at elite national institutions.
- Funding of up to $2,000 per year for approved conference-related travel and research expenses is available to present your research at an academic or professional conference.
- Competitive Scholarships and Assistantship positions are available.
- Tuition includes customized advising, campus flex bucks, meals on campus, STATA and SPSS software, research support and more.
You don't have to miss a thing.
Classes meet one Friday and Saturday each month on JU's beautiful Florida riverside campus. But if you can’t make it, we’ve got you covered. You can stream the class live online! If a work or personal emergency arises and you can’t join virtually either, you can catch up on a class or two by watching recordings. You never have to miss a class.
- Classes designed for working professionals
- Attend classes once a month (Friday & Saturday / 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
- 21 days on JU main campus
- Choose to attend class in-person or online
- Share and learn from your classmates' challenges and experiences
Three Program Phases
- In the first phase, students complete the “core” coursework
- The second phase is the comprehensive activity and oral presentation of dissertation proposal
- In the final phase, the candidates focus on their dissertation by dedicating their third year to doctoral level research and writing in a business area of their choice
Optional Post-Graduate Certificate in Business & Management Education
Students in the DBA program have the opportunity to gain a certificate related to business education. This program is offered in conjunction with the University of Surrey through the Surrey Business School’s Center for Management Education, a pioneering hub of research in the theory and practice of management education. The program consists of four 15-credit modules (60 credits total):
- Introduction to Management Education (MANM 408)
- Theoretical Foundations in Management Education (MANM409)
- Innovation & Leadership in Management Education (MANM410)
- Management Education in Practice (MANM411/DBA 780)
The first 3 courses are offered online (8 weeks each) through the University of Surrey, starting in January; the capstone course is held at JU over the summer. Each student is allocated a personal learning coach who supports the student on a weekly basis. The cost of the certificate is $4500 and is not included in the base DBA program tuition. Tuition is paid to JU. Students wishing to apply can contact Mary Glyn (email@example.com) for assistance. For more information, visit https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/business-and-management-education-teacher-training-pgcert#apply
Master's degree optional.
The Davis College of Business & Technology is now offering a Post-Baccalaureate to DBA option, which provides a viable accelerated pathway to the DBA for business professionals with a Bachelor's level degree.
- Students will complete their 12-credit concentration and any business prerequisites deemed necessary in the one to two semesters before beginning the doctoral portion of the program.
- DBA students need to maintain a B grade or higher in each class, as well as an overall 3.33 GPA or higher before the commencement of the DBA portion of the program.
I think what the -- what's really neat about the DBA program is that, dependent on what you want to do afterwards, there's a lot of options.
If you want to become a specialist in your corporation for this specific area, you can. If you want to become a consultant and consult other businesses on how to better their practices, you can. If you want to become an academic as a professor, then you can do that. So, dependent on what you want to do, then you can take the opportunities that you have within the coursework and within these professors to really become a specialist and an expert in your field.
Me, personally, I want to become a professor. I want to come to campus every day. I want to research. I want to teach students. I want to mold the future generation. And so, but I really am getting the most out of this program is that opportunity to network with these professors, to really learn what it is that they do each and everyday, and to become experts in the fields that I want to teach.
AdmissionsHow to Apply
- Completed JU application
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees conferred
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intent - This personal statement should be written by you. This provides a sample of the quality of your writing, a window into your motivation for joining the program, and information on your educational and vocational goals. Statements that are written with the aid of generative AI or other sources without citation may result in denial of your application.
- The following may be requested:
- Letters of Recommendation
- GRE / GMAT Scores
- Writing Sample
"I want to become a professor, come to campus every day, research, and teach; I want to mold the future generation. What I am getting the most out of this program is the opportunity to network with my professors and become an expert in the field I want to teach in."