Excellence and innovationDoctor of Occupational Therapy
Why Choose Our Program?
A career in occupational therapy offers a diverse range of opportunities and experiences. Occupational therapists work with people across the lifespan in an array of settings, both in the clinic and beyond. Through the use of meaningful activities, occupational therapists help individuals maximize participation in their daily lives to the best of their abilities.
- Jacksonville University itself: The university has been on the America’s Best Colleges list for over 12 straight years.
- The faculty for the Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD) program: The faculty possess extensive clinical and research backgrounds and are committed to engaging students in professional activities.
- The OTD program is part of the Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences: Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences is associated with the largest regional rehabilitation hospital.
- Valuable partnerships: Our program has strong relationships with local healthcare providers
- Location: In addition to the strong academics, the location of the university is an asset. The state of the art facility and house is located on a beautiful tree- filled campus on the St. John’s River in Jacksonville, Florida. A short drive takes you to a number of beaches and major Florida attractions.
start your application
Ready to dive in? We are still accepting applications for our summer term on a rolling basis, so you don't have to wait to start the program!
Summer term for the program begins on Monday, May 17.
AdmissionsHow to Apply
- Request official transcripts & documentation
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our school code is 001495
- Apply for our program through OTCAS
- Qualified applicants will be selected for interviews with the OT Admissions committee
- Check out the link below to learn more about our admissions requirements and to learn how to apply through OTCAS
The entry-level occupational therapy doctoral degree program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its web address is www.acoteonline.org.
Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.
Since the OTD program at Jacksonville University has not had its first class graduate, no program outcomes nor NBCOT pass rates are available at this time. The OTD program has a planned annual cohort size of 28 students. Students who have successfully completed the program will be allowed to sit for the NBCOT examination.
*Photos features the Nelson Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Technology Health Center at Jacksonville University on the beautiful St. Johns River.
Request for Information
Contact Information Occupational Therapy
Phone: (904) 256-7000