The Data Science major is an interdisciplinary program that prepares students for a career as a data scientist in a variety of industries. The coursework provides students with a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science as well as familiarity with all stages of data curation. Through coursework in mathematics, computer science and business, student will:
- Develop computational and statistical thinking.
- Build the necessary mathematical foundations. • Develop competency in model building and assessment.
- Build a strong foundation in algorithms and software.
- Develop skills in data curation.
- Develop strong communication skills.
- Develop skills in a domain outside of mathematics and computing.
As data science is inherently interdisciplinary, students are required to complete a minor outside of mathematics and computing science.
Required Courses (60 Credits)
CS 170: Introduction to Scientific & Engineering Programming
CS 240 Data Structures 4 CS 360 Database Design & Development
CS 451 Applied Data Mining 3 MGT 301 Principles of Management
MATH 140 Calculus I
MATH 141 Calculus II
MATH 150 Discrete Math
MATH 170 Data Science Foundations
MATH 270 Introduction to Data Science
MATH 315 Probability
MATH 316 Applied Statistics
MATH 320 Linear Algebra
MATH 470 Machine Learning Algorithms
MATH 475 Models and Simulation for Data Science
MATH 481WS Data Science Capstone I
MATH 482WS Data Science Capstone II
MATH 390/490* Internship(s) or RI Independent Study(ies) 6 or MATH 487RI/488RI S
Elective Options (3 - 4 credits)
CS 405 Artificial Intelligence
CS 450 Modeling and Simulation
MATH 300 Calculus III
MATH 420 Linear Algebra II
DSIM 420 Visual Analytics, Capstone