MPP/MBA Dual Degree Program
The JU MPP-MBA dual degree program is a 3 year program with year one in either the JU MPP program or JU MBA program. In year one, students will take first year MPP courses or first year MBA courses. In year two, courses will be taken in the other program. Year 3 will have mixed policy and business courses. If pursued separately, the two degrees would take 4 years.
The dual degree program coursework consists of 67 total credit hours. The MPP program consists of 39 credit hours, including an internship (2 credit JU MPP internship requirement can be met through an MPP internship, qualifying clerkship, or qualifying work or professional experience; it must be completed prior to the third year) and a Capstone Policy Project. The MPP program will recognize 9 transfer credits from the MBA program, for a total of 48 MPP credits.
The MBA program consists of 28 credit hours. There is no internship or thesis requirement in the MBA program. The MBA program will recognize 7 transfer credits from the MPP program, for a total of 35 MBA credits.
Students undertaking the JU MPP program in year one will likely have the following course of study:
First Year: 24 MPP Credits
- PPOL 501 - Microeconomics for Public Policy (3)
- PPOL 511 - Political Institutions, Processes and Public Policy (3)
- PPOL 512 - Ethics and Public Policy (3)
- PPOL 521 - Statistics and Research Methods in Public Policy (3)
- PPOL 502 – Public Finance (3)
- PPOL 513 - Law and Public Policy (3)
- PPOL 530/DSIM 530. Analytical Methods of Decision-Making (2) --- or ---- PPOL 531. Quantitative Methods and Analysis (prerequisite: PPOL 521)
- PPOL 550/MGT 550. Leading Organizations (2)
- PPOL 590. JU PPI Internship (2) (summer internship)
Second Year: 19 MBA credits and 3 MPP credits
- 19 MBA credits
- PPOL LAWB – Law School Policy or Business course (3) (FCSL) (prerequisite: PPOL 512) – Can be taken in fall or spring semester
Third Year: 12 MPP credits and 9 MBA credits
- PPOL 541 – Public Policy Analysis (3)
- PPOL/MBA course Management Course: (1)PPOL 610/MGT 610, PPOL 611/MGT 620, (2)PPOL 612/MGT 630 – Management (3)
- PPOL Capstone Policy Project I – PPOL 695: Client Policy Project I (3) or PPOL 697: Research Policy Thesis I (3) (Fall Semester)
- PPOL Capstone Policy Project II – PPOL 696: Client Policy Project II (3) or PPOL 698: Research Policy Thesis II (3) (Spring Semester)
- 9 MBA credits