A Healthy Campus Initiative Exercise is Medicine
The Initiative How We Got Started
In 2007, the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) co-launched Exercise is Medicine (EIM) - a United States-based health initiative that has since been coordinated by ACSM. JU Kinesiology applauds the ACSM’s leadership and efforts to develop and promote the EIM agenda. The EIM agenda has now been incorporated into our program. Kinesiology faculty, students, and JU Recreation are committed to staying a “Gold Level Recognition” EIM campus.
About Exercise is Medicine on Campus (EIM-OC)
Dr. Carena Winters, Associate Professor in Kinesiology launched the health initiative Exercise is Medicine – On Campus (EIM-OC) in 2009 with Dr. Bob Sallis and the support of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Under Dr. Winters’s leadership, EIM-OC quickly became a global health mission that has been implemented in over 260 campuses worldwide, believing that higher education campuses are an ideal setting to implement the EIM platform to make physical activity assessment and promotion a standard in clinical care. In 2015, Dr. Winters led the implementation of an EIM-OC Recognition program. As of 2019, 139 campuses worldwide have received recognition for promoting physical activity as a vital sign of health. Under Dr. Winters's leadership, JU received Gold-level recognition in 2019, the highest level of EIM-OC recognition awarded. In May of 2019, EIM-OC celebrated its 10th Anniversary by recognizing 139 campuses that have successfully implemented EIM-OC.
About EIM-OC on Jacksonville University Campus
JU has infused EIM into the Kinesiology programs and across campus. We are proud to be recognized as a Gold-level EIM-OC institution. Please see below our latest accomplishments.
On the Agenda:
Exercise is Medicine on CampusWhat We've Accomplished
- JU Kinesiology faculty Dr. Carena Winters was presented the Exercise is Medicine Global Leadership Award by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) at the annual ACSM conference in May, 2019 in recognition of her vision, determination, passion and innovation in launching the global Exercise is Medicine on Campus initiative. More information on EIM.
- JU was officially awarded Gold Level Recognition for Exercise is Medicine on Campus (EIM-OC) and represented one of 139 campuses to be recognized globally at the event and only 1 in 55 to earn Gold-level status.
- JU Wins 3rd prize nationally for EIM on Campus Mascot Challenge Video.
- First Coast Worksite Wellness Council and Mayor’s Council for Fitness & Well-Being has awarded Jacksonville University a Platinum Level Award, the highest recognition to date for JU.
- Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences named the exclusive academic partner of The District - Life Well Lived (August, 2017).
- JU became Florida’s first private university to take the American College Health Association (ACHA) “Healthy Campus Pledge” and join the prized national network in the Fall 2017.
Contact Information Carena Winters
Phone: (904) 256-7922