College of Healthcare Sciences / School of Orthodontics
To support and maintain an effective process for cleaning dental instruments in accordance to OSHA Regulation and Florida Statues. Perform weekly and monthly maintenance on autoclaves as well as routine spore test.
Essential Job Duties
- Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments, dental supplies and equipment, and assembles, wraps and sterilizes trays of instruments. Follows proper Standard Precautions while in decontamination and sterilization areas.
- Monitors biological and chemical wash solution to ensure quality and consistency for decontamination of instruments and dental equipment.
- Sorts mismatched sets of instruments, trays, and dental equipment and makes them available to sterile processing in a timely manner.
- Restocks, labels, and maintains inventory, collects and distributes instruments, and trays.
- Performs environmental maintenance duties and assists in maintaining inventory levels in sterile processing, the operating room, and in equipment storage areas.
- Verifies that equipment functions properly, requisitions for equipment maintenance, repair or replacement, and removes defective equipment.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- Assists with maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality improvement, safety, and environmental and infection control standards.
- Communicates appropriately using good interpersonal skills
- Send and track instruments for repair
- Ordering sharps container
- Maintain biohazard log
- Back up for maintenance of SDS sheets
- Communicate low inventory by writing it on the inventory log.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Sterilization techniques and procedures.
- OSHA standards and requirements.
- Sterilizing and disinfecting dental equipment.
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications.
- Read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize and prioritize multiple detailed tasks within tight timeframes.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment.
- Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner, including calming fearful patients.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, service providers, faculty, and other staff.
- Normal business hours. Some additional hours may be required.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Sitting—up to 4 hours a day
- Walking—up to 2 hours per day
- Standing—up to 8 hours per day
- Computer keyboard—up to 6 hours per day
- Lifting—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- Pushing—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- Pulling—up to a maximum of 30 pounds, but will generally not apply
- The following requirements will generally not apply:
- Climbing stairs or a ladder
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education/Experience Requirement
- High school diploma and some college or technical training in a related discipline and two (2) years experience in infection control, sterilization and/or chairside dental assistance or an equivalent combination of education, training, or experience.
- A valid driver’s license is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants, send application material to Sharon Frazier at email@example.com.