Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
Responsible for performing front desk activities, including greeting patients, answering phones, scheduling, accepting and posting payments, and updating records. Also processes, maintains, compiles, and reports patient information.
Essential Job Duties
- Greets patients, performs new patient procedures such as assigning to diagnosis-related groups, and completing paperwork; coordinates activities with the Insurance and Collection Coordinators.
- Collects money and makes daily reconcilations.
- Responds to notes on patient accounts, seeks assistance with appropriate entities in the event of conflict, and enters notes in patient records.
- Accepts, screens, and routes telephone calls, responds to patient inquiries, and makes appointment reminder calls.
- Schedules emergency appointments and coordinates other scheduling changes.
- Establishes, maintains, processes, and updates files, records, and other documents, and ensures records are complete, accurate, and in compliance with standards.
- Compiles and maintains patients’ medical records to document condition and treatment, and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
- Responds to notes on patient accounts, seeks assistance with appropriate entities in the event of conflict, and enters notes in patient records
- Releases information to persons and agencies according to regulations.
- Resolves or clarifies codes and diagnoses with conflicting, missing, or unclear information by consulting with service providers or others.
- Maintains confidentiality; protects the security of medical records and adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
- Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Dental/orthodontic terminology
- Dental insurance billing practices
- Standard business office procedures
- Using interviewing techniques to obtain information from patients
- Transcribing written and oral information, using computers to enter, access or retrieve data, and preparing reports
- Maintaining patient dental records
- Accurately posting, balancing, and reconciling payments
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications
- Read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions
- Organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Accurately perform detailed clerical and administrative tasks
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment
- Provide a high level of internal and external customer service
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, service providers, faculty, and other staff
- Normal business hours. Some additional hours may be required.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Generous Benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, tuition credits.
- Generous Vacation and Time Off policy.
- Sitting—up to 8 hours per day
- Walking—up to 2 hours per day
- Standing—up to 6 hours per day
- Lifting—up to 30 pounds maximum, but generally will not apply
- Pushing—up to 30 pounds maximum, but generally will not apply
- Pulling—up to 30 pounds maximum, but generally will not apply
- Computer keyboard—up to 6 hours per day
- The following requirements will generally not apply:
- Climbing stairs or ladders
Employees should not attempt to lift, pull, or push a load in excess of 30 pounds without assistance. Care should always be taken when lifting, pushing, or pulling in an awkward position.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s Degree in related discipline and two (2) years of experience in Health Information and/or Medical Records in an academic medical environment preferred or an equivalent
- A valid driver’s license is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All interested applicants, please send application materials to Anita Vandergriff at firstname.lastname@example.org.