This position is no longer available.
Graduate Assistant of Recreation and Intramural Sports
Division of Student Life
We are seeking dynamic graduate students, committed to our shared mission of building a student-centered learning community. The Division of Student Life is responsible for programs, services, and initiatives that support the academic mission of the University, promote retention and student satisfaction, and provide students with opportunities for life experiences and personal development.
Recreation and Operations Recreation and Intramural Sports
The hired individual for Recreation and Intramural Sports will be a paraprofessional staff member and will work directly with the development of the Intramural Sports program and manage the JU open recreation hours/equipment check-out process. The hired staff member for Recreation and Intramural Sports will serve in the capacity to support the mission, vision and goals of the Department of Recreation and Operations, the Division of Student Life, and Jacksonville University.
Essential Job Duties
- Intramural Sports – create IM sports schedule for academic year and lead team of student
staff to implement programs.
- Semester program minimum includes four (4) seasonal sport leagues and four (4) sport tournaments
- Hold regular 1-1 with student leaders, facilitate team meetings
- Design and deploy regular training for student leaders to successfully execute sports and tournaments
- Assist in the recruitment of officials for every sport
- Serve as professional staff in charge during scheduled sport activity o Work in collaboration with the Director to administer field maintenance and organization budget
- Manage Open Rec hours and equipment check-out system o Train staff to implement department policies and procedures as it relates to Open Rec hours and the checking out of sports equipment
- Assist in the maintenance and inventory of open rec equipment
- Supervise checkout system with Residential Life and track the usage of this checkout equipment regularly
- Assist with regular and ongoing training for registered student organizations.
- Serve as advisor for club sports on campus.
- Participate in event staffing throughout the year. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Admission to – as well as continuous enrollment and satisfactory academic progress in – a Jacksonville University Master’s Degree program or University of North Florida Master of Education or Master of Business Administration program;
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Previous Intramural Sports employment and experience preferred;
- Demonstrated leadership in the college and university setting;
- High level of comfort with frequent student contact, with residing on campus, and being accessible outside of traditional office hours;
- Ability to advise diverse student groups;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully balance, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks in an active, fastpaced environment, while providing superior constituent service;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, student-centered environment; and
- Excellent oral, written, computer, problem-solving, critical thinking, and fiscal management skills.
- Stipend of $10,000 over a 10 month period, August 1 – May 15.
- Graduate assistants are provided housing on campus in a shared residence hall room furnished by the university, with utilities and parking provided.
- A partial meal plan is provided, subject to the schedule of on-campus dining facilities.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Qualified applicants should electronically submit a letter of application, professional resume, and contact information for at least three professional references to: Division of Student Life Jacksonville University Electronic Mail: email@example.com
Applicants should include “Student Life Rec/IM” in the subject line of their electronic mail message.
To ensure full consideration, application materials should be submitted prior to (date). Review of candidate credentials will commence immediately, and will continue until the positions are filled.