Circulation Services Manager
Circulation Services Manager
The Carl S. Swisher Library seeks applications from innovative, enthusiastic, service-oriented candidates with strong communication and collaboration skills for the position of Circulation Services Manager. The Circulation Services Manager has overall responsibility for the day-to-day shared supervision of three library assistants and 15+ student assistants working directly with library assistants for the operations of the library. The Circulation Services Manager is responsible for evaluation of the workflow of the Swisher Library collections, patron records maintenance, reserves, shelving, shifting, shelf-reading, inventory, facility work orders, signage, floor plans, and emergency planning. The Circulation Services Manager coordinates circulation services and manages the daily operations of the library along with the Access Services Librarian. The successful candidate will begin July 2021.
Essential Job Duties
- Learns library management system and other related applications in order to provide maximum quality service to library users.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance (selection, weeding, and assessment) of collections in physical and online formats.
- Records statistics of building use and patron services.
- Provides assistance to library patrons on the use of the catalog and library website with knowledge of electronic and paper resources; directs users in locating materials; provides assistance with equipment to users; refers questions beyond training to a professional librarian.
- Recruits, hires, schedules, trains, and supervises student employees. Create and maintain student worker schedule; process new hire paperwork; process timesheets; budget university student workers hours.
- Develop student worker orientation and training sessions. Supervises student assistants in shelving of materials, shelf-reading and special projects. Assumes responsibility for maintaining the order and appearance of the circulation collection.
- Resolves complications (fines, renewals, etc.) relating to circulation policies and procedures; recommends changes to circulation policies and procedures when necessary; maintains and updates the circulation manual.
- Performs closing procedures and/or opening routines. Staffs the circulation desk as needed with expected coverage during exam schedules. Is responsible for the library in the absence of a librarian. Notifies Campus Security in case of problems or the need to evacuate the building during an emergency.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of academic library services, practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of management principles involved in leadership techniques and coordination of people and resources.
- Ability to use a computer and Microsoft applications and learn new technologies; customer service oriented; thoroughness and skilled with the attention to details; good writing skills; demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical users. Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude towards co-workers, JU community, and job duties.
- Primarily indoor office environment.
- Standard library coverage hours.
- Night and/or weekend hours are required.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and materials weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard and other office machines.
- Must have vision to read in print and on screen.
- Must have hearing to communicate in person and on the phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor's degree
Minimum Work Experience
- Three years of progressively responsible experience related to areas of assignment, including one year of lead or supervisory experience.
- Proven managerial experience in library or similar environment.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
For full consideration, submit your application material by May 07, 2021 to email@example.com. The successful candidate will begin employment July 2021.