Circulation Services Manager
Circulation Services Manager
Carl S. Swisher Library
The Carl S. Swisher Library seeks applications from innovative, enthusiastic, service-oriented candidates with strong communication and collaboration skills for the position of Circulation Services Manager. The Circulation Services Manager has overall responsibility for the day-to-day supervision of student workers and library assistants, working directly with the Access Services Librarian for the operations of the library. The Circulation Services Manager is responsible for evaluation of the workflow of the Swisher Library collections, patron records maintenance, updating WorldCat Local, shelving, shifting, shelf-reading, inventory, facility work orders, signage, floor plans, and emergency planning.
Essential Job Duties
- Learns KOHA library management system and other related applications in order to provide maximum quality service to library users. Records statistics as necessary.
- Assists library patrons on the use of the catalog and library website with knowledge of electronic and paper resources; directs users in locating materials; assists users; refers questions beyond training to a professional librarian.
- Recruits, hires, schedules, trains and supervises student employees. Create and maintain student work schedule; student orientation; process new hire paperwork; process timesheets; budget university student worker’s hours. Deliver student worker performance reviews.
- Recruits, hires, schedules, trains and supervises library assistants. Process weekly timesheets, delegates projects, and delivers annual reviews and relevant trainings.
- Resolves complications (fines, renewals, etc.) relating to circulation policies and procedures; recommends changes to circulation policies and procedures when necessary; maintains and updates the circulation manual.
- Performs closing procedures and/or opening routines. Staffs the circulation desk as needed with expected coverage during exam schedules. Is responsible for the library in the absence of a librarian. Notifies Campus Security in case of problems or the need to evacuate the building during an emergency.
- Assists with technical services projects, copy cataloging of library materials. Assists with maintenance of bibliographic records, using the Library of Congress classification system.
- Coordinate library work requests with campus facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of academic library services, practices, and techniques.
- Ability to use a computer and Microsoft applications and learn new technologies; customer service oriented; thoroughness and skilled with the attention to details; good writing skills; demonstrable ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical users. Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude towards co-workers, JU community, and job duties.
- Primarily indoor office environment.
- Standard library coverage hours.
- Night and/or weekend hours are required.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and materials weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard and other office machines.
- Must have vision to read in print and on screen.
- Must have hearing to communicate in person and on the phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor's degree or significant library experience.
Minimum Work Experience
- Three years of experience in administrative, clerical, retail, or library support work.
- Current master degree seeking library science student. Supervisory experience.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants, send all application materials to Casanna Jackson at email@example.com.