Campus Security Officer
Campus Security Officer
Patrols University grounds and buildings in order to provide a visible presence to deter crime; respond to all emergencies and routine calls for services in a timely manner and coordinate the police, fire and or medical response to same; Provide general safety information through the daily interaction with the University. Monitor campus special events and parking areas. Dispatch calls and answer Campus Security telephones, assist members of the community who may have questions. Take photo ID pictures and issue identification cards. Issue parking permits and enforce traffic and parking regulations. Position requires minor physical exertion including the consistent need to push, pull, carry, and lift up to 25 pounds on a regular basis and the ability to stand and/or walk for lengthy periods of time without rest or assistance. The Campus Security Officer works within a 24 hour/7 day operation and due to the nature of the position, the Campus Security Officer should expect to work a fluctuating work schedule including holidays, nights and weekends.
Essential Job Duties
1. Serve as a visible and proactive University representative within a 24/7 department charged with providing a secure environment for the University students, affiliates, quests and visitors.
- Conduct patrols via foot and mountain style bikes to respond to emergencies, provide services and access functions as appropriate, personal escort services.
- Provide safety awareness through daily contact with the University community and visitors by providing general safety information, directions, parking information.
- Identify actual or potential safety hazards or conditions and coordinate a resolution with the appropriate department or area.
- Provide assistance to University personnel in matters involving potential violations to University policy wherein conduct or behavioral expectations are disruptive to the mission of the University.
- Respond to all emergencies to coordinate law enforcement, medical and/or fire services response to the incident, and to provide a proactive role after the emergency situation has concluded. Make appropriate notifications on campus emergencies as directed.
- Prepare incident reports and related written communication and maintain activity logs as appropriate. Answer telephones. Dispatch calls via two-way radio.
- Work special events to provide traffic, parking, and crowd control as needed.
- Assist the parking program by monitoring parking areas, issuing citations and maintaining access to fire lanes, handicap spaces, and the roadways owned and or controlled by the University.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director of Campus Security, Coordinator, or assigned Shift Supervisor.
Education & Experience
H.S. Diploma or GED required. A current and valid State of Florida Class D Security Officer License is required. Ability to be creative in developing solutions to complex problems and to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Ability to provide instruction on personal safety and security issues. Must have a valid driver's license. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background check.
Associate Degree is preferred or commensurate experience in the military, law enforcement. or security, preferably on a college campus. Excellent communication skills with a wide variety of people is required.
Some typing is required, ability to type 15 wpm. Use of word processing, spreadsheets, database, and email programs required.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.