Academic Support Coordinator
Academic Support Coordinator
The individual in this position will assist Jacksonville University in the achievement of its vision, values, and mission, by offering quality administrative support to the Academic Support Center (ASC) and the First-Year Experience Courses (JU 101 & JU 103). The Program Assistant will maintain a high degree of professionalism and a positive student success orientation at all times. Successful candidates will have experience with office administration, the Microsoft Office Suite, and college/university settings. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills are essential.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Academic Support and other ASC staff as assigned.
- Assist the Director with JU 101 First-Year Experience program planning and preparations.
- Cover the ASC reception desk Monday through Friday. Times may vary due to seasonal operating hours.
- Assist the Associate Director of the ASC in the hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising of work study student desk assistants.
- Professionally greet all ASC visitors and help them log in for appointments and walk-in sessions as needed.
- Respond to office email, phone, and written inquiries.
- Collect, process, and submit all student worker bi-weekly timesheets.
- Record and report all student worker absences on a daily basis.
- Order all department supplies and process all paperwork necessary for vendor payments, reimbursements, and staff travel vouchers.
- Participate in the updating of program databases and scheduling software.
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of announcements, calendars, newsletters, and other information that serve to promote Academic Support programs.
- Coordinate outreach efforts to students who have received Academic Intervention Forms and Academic Misconduct Forms.
- Help with outreach to promote ASC services and recruit tutors.
- Coordinate and/or disseminate communications which may include but are not limited to: data compilation, routine and special reports, spreadsheets, and ongoing projects.
- Collaborate with program staff in creating and updating program forms.
- Maintain and update Academic Support websites and social media sites.
- Represent the University in a professional manner to all constituencies.
- Follow all University policies and procedures with particular attention to confidentiality and FERPA.
- Maintain a neat, professional, and well-organized workspace.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Academic Support Program Assistant will:
- Be a person of character and integrity who will represent the University in a professional manner at all times.
- Greet all ASC visitors in a timely, warm, and welcoming manner.
- Be dedicated to the mission of Jacksonville University in regards to supporting the academic success of the entire student population.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Value the importance of confidentiality, accuracy, punctuality, and tact.
- Have demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Respectfully contribute to ASC social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or off campus.
- Current office is located in a building that can experience temperature extremes.
- This position will require working outside of the standard JU office hours (8:30 am to 5:00 pm on Monday through Friday.)
- Attendance at evening and weekend events may be required.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise and interruptions caused by telephones, office machines, and walk-in traffic.
- Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities as outlined in this job description.
- Must be able to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communication and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum Work Experience
- Three or more years of office administrative experience
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with student-centered university settings and programs
- Five or more years of experience working at a college or university
- An outgoing and engaging personality
- Collaborative in nature but able to work independently
- Able to multi-task while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and a welcoming demeanor
- Sense of humor and good will
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
I acknowledge receipt and understanding of this job description. I verify that I am capable of and willing to fulfill all essential functions of this position. I am willing to be flexible and willing to do various jobs that are not listed, as the need arises.