Assistant Professor of Psychology
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Jacksonville University invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor of Psychology in an applied area of psychology. The area of concentration is open, with strong preference given to candidates who can teach and conduct research in health psychology or behavioral medicine. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in psychology by time of appointment (August 2023).
Faculty positions at Jacksonville University require commitment to teaching, university service, and scholarship. The Psychology Department has approximately 165 majors, 40 minors, and 5 full-time faculty members, so faculty teach a wide range of courses. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester, which may include Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Health Psychology, Stress, Pain and Happiness, or a course in the candidate’s general area of expertise. We especially welcome candidates who can broaden the range of courses we offer on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a brief research statement, a diversity statement, and a statement of teaching philosophy. Those candidates who are selected for our short list will be asked to submit a JU faculty application, three letters of recommendation, sample syllabi, and evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., student feedback or peer evaluations). Send materials electronically to the chair of psychology at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin December 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Jacksonville University, an Equal Opportunity Employer, believes students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Jacksonville University’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we actively welcome applications from members of groups who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Jacksonville University is a comprehensive, liberal arts college located in Jacksonville, FL a diverse metropolitan community with a thriving economic and cultural scene. Jacksonville International Airport provides easy access to US and international destinations. The College emphasizes innovative and quality teaching in small classes, and ranks in the annual rankings of “America’s Best Colleges,” released by U.S. News & World Report. Please visit our website at www.ju.edu.
Essential Job Duties
Assistant Professor of Psychology, in the area of Applied Health Psychology.
- Expected area of emphasis in Health Psychology
- Will teach four courses per semester, which may include Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Health Psychology, Stress, Pain and Happiness, or a course in the candidate’s general area of expertise.
- Must participate in college and university service
- Develop research portfolio related to psychology and the selected concentration area
- Mainly indoors
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and scientific equipment
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- a PhD in psychology, with emphasis in health psychology, by time of appointment in August 2023.
Minimum Work Experience
- Academic teaching experience in psychology
- Strong preference given to candidates who can teach and conduct research in health psychology or behavioral medicine
- We especially welcome candidates who can broaden the range of courses we offer on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants should submit a copy of their teaching statement, diversity
statement, resume, cover letter, list of references, and a completed JU Application to Amanda McGraw at email@example.com.