Assistant Professor of Art History
Assistant Professor of Art History, Tenure-Track
Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts (LBS CFA) Division of Visual Arts (DVA)
Full Time/Tenure Track
The Division of Visual Arts, in the Linda Berry Stein College of Fine Arts at Jacksonville University, invites applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Art History position beginning August 2020. The Division is seeking a faculty member with an investment in teaching and a strong record of research and professional practice. Candidates should demonstrate readiness to teach upper level art history as well as surveys from Prehistoric to Medieval and Renaissance to Modern periods. The successful applicant will demonstrate innovative scholarly work and an active record of research, publication, and presentation at national and international venues. Candidates should also have a record of successful teaching, and demonstrate an ability (or interest) to teach online with a commitment to interactive classroom learning and integrating new technologies in teaching. As an institution committed to equity and inclusion, we seek candidates who embody and express these values in all aspects of their courses and pedagogy. Service to the institution, college, and department is expected.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and teach courses in Art History and Visual Literacy at all levels of the undergraduate program with a global and contemporary approach to teaching
- Evaluate and update undergraduate Art History curriculum, and lead the art history program
- Develop and teach online courses in Art History and/or Critical Theory at the graduate level
- Advise students at the undergraduate level
- Serve on thesis committees at undergraduate and graduate levels
- Develop a solid, applied research portfolio in Art History (focus on collaborative and inter-disciplinary research is a plus)
- Establish and supervise internships, independent studies, and departmental honors
- Guide University Art Collection
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Generalist perspective in Art History
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- PHD in Art History (or related field) from an accredited university
Minimum Work Experience
- 3 years of full-time teaching experience in Art History (or related field)
- Strong record of professional achievement preferred
- Experience with online course development preferred
- Demonstrated curriculum literacy amid a liberal arts core preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, teaching philosophy outlining their pedagogical approach, list of Instructor of Record courses (sample course syllabi optional), Jacksonville University faculty application and background check authorization, names and contact info for three references and unofficial transcripts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For complete information about the division and university, please visit http://www.ju.edu. Review of Applications will begin 2/24/2020. Priority will be given to applications received by 2/21/2020. Position is open until filled. Jacksonville University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.