Web Services Coordinator
Web Services Coordinator
Office of Marketing & Communications
The Web Services Coordinator works in partnership with the Web Marketing Coordinator to deliver a high-quality, recognizable, accessible web presence for Jacksonville University within the Office of Marketing & Communications. They report to the Director of Information Strategy.
The department this position works within depends on collaboration, open-mindedness, and flexibility. The person who fills this role will need strong verbal and written communication skills with a broad range of constituents and personalities, a high level of organization and attention to detail, and the ability to adapt quickly to changing needs or priorities.
The ideal candidate for this position is a jack of all trades with strong skills in web development and some facets of site optimization. They should be comfortable writing and manipulating HTML, CSS, JS/jQuery, and enough understanding of PHP to understand and revise existing code. They will also have some level of skill in (or interest in learning) these areas:
- Web design, especially from a usability perspective
- Designing and developing for accessibility
- Google Tag Manager, both implementing and testing
- Google Analytics, both benchmarking and campaign tracking
- Search engine optimization
In addition to web development and site optimization, the individual in this role will be responsible for training faculty and staff from around the University to work with the CMS that powers the main website (Omni CMS by Modern Campus). This will involve conducting training sessions one-on-one or with small groups, and responding to requests for guidance or troubleshooting by trained editors as they come in. This responsibility is shared with the Web Marketing Coordinator.
Essential Job Duties
- Create and implement processes to proactively improve the websites of the University, both through:
- Direct action (template updates, content tweaks, search engine optimization, etc.), and
- Empowerment of agents around campus (training, education)
- Make strategic decisions about design, content strategy, and information architecture based on both best practices on the web and the University strategic goals and brand
- Manage and create web pages to support the strategy of the University
- Ensure the pages of the website are both compliant with accessibility standards and actually accessible to a broad range of different abilities
- Provide warm, professional, respectful service to all constituents, while also prioritizing both the University’s strategic goals and best practices on the web
- Transcribe or arrange transcription of videos as requests for transcriptions come in
- Create forms in MachForms for users as needed
- Add code snippets and pixels to the website as needed for campaigns
- Develop redirects (both vanity links and 301 redirects)
- Update the campus map using the map CMS as needed
- Create and deliver reports on analytics on a regular basis, including tracking trends and making recommendations based on available data
- Stay informed about University and departmental strategic goals to serve as a secondary representative for digital- and marketing-related committees on campus
- As needed, serve as primary contact in vendor relationships to oversee implementation of new tools and services
- Prior experience in etc.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events may be required
- In-office or hybrid work arrangement, dependent on candidate’s skills and needs
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Professional Skills & Experience
- Two years of experience or demonstrated equivalency working in web design and development,
ideally for a higher education institution.
- At least an AA degree preferred
- Strong attention to detail and ability to ensure consistency in design, code, content, and user experience
- Skilled in customer service with end-users at all levels of proficiency
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to communicate professionally through both verbal and written means
- Excellent organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines with little supervision
- Adaptability and resourcefulness, especially in the face of quickly shifting needs
- Experience and comfort training users at all levels of proficiency
- Ability to problem-solve and learn new things through research, professional development, and trial and error
- Collaborative spirit, ready and excited to work with a skilled team
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings or weekends
Technical Skills & Experience
- Strong understanding of HTML, CSS, JS/jQuery, and enough understanding of PHP to understand and revise existing code
- Comfort with a WYSIWYG editor is a plus for training others
- Knowledge of and experience improving search engine optimization
- Working knowledge of Moz is a plus
- Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Knowledge of WordPress helpful
- Knowledge of Omni CMS by Modern Campus a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of Canva, basic familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All Jacksonville University employees who work on campus must be vaccinated for COVID-19. Documentation will be requested during onboarding. Our full vaccination policy is available online.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Amanda Billy, Director of Information Strategy, at email@example.com.