Technology and Physical Security Coordinator
Technology and Physical Security Coordinator
Jacksonville University Department of Campus Safety and Security
Coordinates physical and technical security response and services for Jacksonville University Department of Campus Safety and Security (DCSS). This position will assist in providing DCSS leaders the information needed to make critical decisions and provide physical security information management. Dependable, organized, detail-oriented, team member with the ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks while meeting deadlines. Collaborate with DCSS leadership to create innovative strategies and develop programs to enhance safety and security such as intrusion detection, CCTV, radio utilization, photo identification, fire alert, access control, and provides systems administration support for DCSS systems to include databases and communications, and other designated types of equipment or areas of service to Jacksonville University. Provides recommendations in system design and specification, and serves as DCSS liaison in the purchase, installation, maintenance, repair and/or operation of such equipment and systems. Provide DCSS with technological support in the form of security cameras, gate controls, door readers; and provides necessary flexibility to meet the mission of the University without sacrificing safety and security.
Essential Job Duties
- Administers and monitors University security systems such as emergency notification systems, intrusion alarms, video management & CCTV systems, fire alarm systems, and other technology relative to DCSS responsibilities.
- Utilize various campus safety software applications, and closed-circuit television systems to proactively detect and deter criminal activity.
- Designs and establishes key lock and related systems which permit controlled access to buildings and ensures safety and security of Jacksonville University.
- Participates in administering the University master key system by establishing effective controls to ensure campus safety and assure immediate access to records and keys/cards, as needed.
- Tracking departmental expenditures and participating in budget preparation by providing the Director with reports of expenses and other information, as needed.
- Maintains inventory of all key/locking mechanisms on Jacksonville University Campus. Organize data and information for DCSS by creating and maintaining databases and filing systems, maintaining records, developing, and producing reports as requested, in a timely manner.
- Prepares key and lock specifications for new construction and renovations.
- Maintains secure environment by keeping all lock and access information confidential and complying with policy and regulations.
- Follows strategic direction from management for the improvement of the Safety & Security of Jacksonville University.
- Works collaboratively with other departmental functional areas and university operations to attain goals.
- Works with staff and contractors for the testing and certification of university fire and life safety systems and equipment, reviews for fire and life safety code compliance.
- Provide information/assistance concerning activities on campus, for Officers in the field when needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Work as a team member and foster a cooperative work environment. Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of security best practices.
- Understanding of core network principles. Understanding of general system administration and desktop management.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively including written and oral communication skills.
- Able to handle high pressure situations.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to handle an on-call rotation and possible work outside of normal business hours
- Manufactures and performs installation, maintenance, repairs and inventory on keys/cores used in locking systems for doors, desks, file cabinets, and panic devices.
- Utilizes precision measuring devices in master keying and lock setup, levers, cams, and cylinders to precise tolerances in locking systems.
- Utilizes hand and power tools to install locks, setting-up lock and keying systems, and other systems as needed.
- Responds to all University related emergencies, critical incidents, at the direction of the Director, DCSS.
Education and Experience:
- An Associate degree, or acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Preference given to individuals who have previously performed the functions as described above in a University setting.
- Incumbent should be able to engage in strenuous physical activity, including walking, climbing stairs, as well as standing or sitting for long periods of time. The Technical and Physical Security Coordinator must also be willing and able to perform duty in inclement weather conditions.
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Work within in a University environment with a diverse population.
- Shift work with fluctuating schedule as necessary to meet the needs of the department.
- May be required to be in an "on call" status.
- Work within an office or outdoor environment.
- Work at special events and meetings outside of regular work hours.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Contact Jacksonville University Department of Campus Safety and Security Director Kevin Bennett, at (904) 256-7585 or kbennet1@JU.edu.