This position is no longer available.
Office of Marketing & Communications
This position reports to the Senior Director of Communications within the department of Marketing and Communications. The position is responsible for writing for a variety of communications to both external and internal audiences, including: news from campus for the University’s website; features/profiles on students, faculty, alumni, etc.; press releases, media advisories and other media materials; advertising and marketing copy; social media; and other copy needs as assigned. This role would also involve capturing images and visuals to support content.
Essential Job Duties
- Research, write, and/or edit, and proofread content for University print and online publications, including WAVE Magazine (print and online), annual report, special events collateral, internal and external e-newsletters, web copy, and other assignments as needed.
- Interview and write about students, alumni, faculty and staff, donors and friends of the University in support of print and online content
- Capture photographs and visuals as needed to support content creation and marketing materials
- Assist with presentations, announcements, talking points/key messaging, campus email communications as needed
- Support public relations and media relations initiatives, such as writing press releases, media advisories and supporting story materials for media, as well as story development and pitching.
- Assist with copy editing, fact checking and proofreading for a variety of content and communications.
- Maintain content calendars and coordinate with other departments and Marketing & Communications to develop story coverage plans, including supporting visuals, interviews, and unique story angles.
- Uphold best practices and ensure branding consistency across departments and platforms.
- Post to social media accounts as needed
- Support other writing and editing needs of the marketing office as requested.
- Experience with writing for a variety of content in a deadline-driven environment, with strong news and feature writing skills, in particular.
- Ability to develop creative story ideas and angles and to write compelling content
- Ability to discern appropriate tone, language and subject matter to reach target audiences
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills, with ability to manage multiple priorities/projects under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Knowledge of AP style
- Experience with photography is preferred
- Hybrid work arrangement will be considered (some days in the office, some days remote)
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, English or related field
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
- Significant experience in writing and editing
- Full knowledge of grammar and AP style
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite, Google platforms (Google Docs, Basecamp,etc), Wordpress, Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.), Adobe suite.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Laura Phelps, Sr. Director of Communications, at email@example.com.