Skills Lab Instructor and Simulationist
This position is no longer available.
Skills Lab Instructor and Simulationist
Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences/Keigwin School of Nursing
Facilitate the daily operations of the Jacksonville University KSON Skills Lab and STAR Center as an environment that supports high critical thinking and experiential learning experiences for Keigwin School of Nursing (KSON) students and interdisciplinary healthcare professionals. Participate in the delivery of simulation clinical experiences and the operation of human patient simulations (HPS) for interdisciplinary professional learning/training sessions. Provide instruction aligned with Jacksonville University’s strategic plan to promote academic achievement.
Essential Job Duties
- Collaborate with KSON Lab Director, Jacksonville University faculty, staff, and community healthcare professionals in developing ideas for innovative research, designing simulations, and preparing logistics for IRB approval, initiation, and implementation of research study on simulation education methods.
- Collaborate and implement with the KSON Lab Director and Simulation Team (IT Sim Ops and Simulationist) current best practice-based healthcare simulation learning experiences.
- Manage and direct the operation of manikin simulators as well as Standardized Patients (SP's) to facilitate their use in healthcare training in all programs at the Skills Lab, STAR Center and Healthcare Simulation Center (HSC)
- Collaborate with the KSON Lab Director and establish procedures for the use of equipment, supplies, materials, and other items used
- Develop and implement engaging learning activities for Keigwin School of Nursing (KSON) students within the lab and/or clinical setting
- Assist KSON faculty by serving as a lab and/or clinical instructor
- Facilitate the practice of nursing skills in the KSON Labs for KSON students, assisting students to achieve competency/proficiency in nursing skills
- Evaluate KSON students' learning and skill acquisition with nursing course rubrics for checkoffs and integrate reflection when giving feedback
- Evaluate KSON students' learning and skill acquisition during simulation and integrate guided reflection into post- simulation debriefings
- Engage and facilitate faculty & community partner development in the design, development, implementation and evaluation of courses, scenarios, simulation tools, and other educational initiatives to promote and measure student learning outcomes in the KSON Labs
- Simulation scenarios assembly of supplies and development of case scenarios for simulations appropriate for various levels of programs
- Maintain records of all simulation activities in an electronic database format.
- Maintain, trouble shoot and resolve issues related to operation and maintenance of simulation equipment.
- Provide for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory. Appropriately dispose of hazardous materials for OSHA standards.
- Participate in grant and contractual related activities as designated by the KSON Lab Director
- Remain current with developments in the field of simulation technology and learning theory.
- Participate in professional development and attend professional meetings.
- Attend scheduled Jacksonville University and KSON Skills Lab/STAR Center meetings and activities as deemed necessary by University or KSON Lab Director.
- Participate in Jacksonville University and Simulation organization committees
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Computer literate
- Research experience
- Innovative Best Practice (IVB) simulation curriculum development, implementation, and use of simulation technology.
- Ability to evaluate learners in the teaching/learning simulation lab environment.
- Knowledge of effective teaching techniques and curriculum development.
- Skill in facilitating development of learner problem solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with KSON team, Jacksonville University faculty and staff, and interdisciplinary community partners.
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings or being off campus.
- Some off-campus travel required.
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion.
- Flexibility of schedule to workdays, evenings or weekends as directed by KSON Lab Director.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- No limitations on physical lifting ability of simulation manikins and equipment up to 80 lbs.
- No Latex Allergy.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) required from an accredited institution.
- MSN from an accredited institution preferred.
- Simulation experience preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Five years of clinical nursing.
- Clinical expertise in one of the following specialty areas:
- Medical Surgical, Emergency, Critical Care
- Previous teaching experience
- Grant research and writing experience
- Unencumbered current Florida nursing license or is eligible to obtain a nursing license in the state of Florida.
- Current BLS and ACLS
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit letter of interest emphasizing experience and potential, a curriculum vitae, Jacksonville University application and background check authorization, three letters of reference and unofficial transcripts to Dr. Leigh Hart, email@example.com.