Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
Facilitate the daily operations of the Jacksonville University Healthcare Simulation Center, BRCHS Skills Lab, and STAR Center as an environment that supports high critical thinking experiential learning experiences for interdisciplinary healthcare professionals and emergency responders. Participate in the delivery of simulation clinical experiences and the operation of human patient simulations (HPS) throughout for interdisciplinary professional training sessions. Participate in the development and programming of HPS simulation clinical experiences for individual community partners training preferences.
- Collaborate & network with HSC Executive Director, Jacksonville University faculty, staff, community healthcare professionals & emergency responders in developing ideas for innovative research, designing study protocol, and preparing logistics for IRB approval, initiation and implementation of research study on simulation education methods.
- Collaborate and implement with the HSC Executive Director and Simulation Team (IT Sim Ops and Simulationist) current best practice based healthcare simulation learning experiences.
- Collaborate with the HSC Executive Director and establish procedures for the use of equipment, supplies, materials, and other items used.
- Provide for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory. Appropriately dispose of hazardous materials for OSHA standards.
- Manage and direct the operation of manikin simulators as well as Standardized Patients (SP’s) to facilitate their use in healthcare training in all programs at the HSC, Skills Lab and STAR Center.
- Engage and facilitate faculty & community partner development in the design, development, implementation and evaluation of new courses, scenarios, simulation tools, and other educational initiatives to promote and measure student learning outcomes.
- Simulation scenarios assembly of supplies and development of case scenarios for simulations appropriate for various levels of programs.
- Evaluate students' learning and skill acquisition, and integrate guided reflection into post-simulation debriefings.
- Maintain, trouble shoot and resolve issues related to operation and maintenance of simulation equipment.
- Participate in grant and contractual related activities as designated by the Executive Director of the HSC.
- Remain current with developments in the field of simulation technology and learning theory.
- Maintain records of all simulation activities in an electronic database format.
- Participate in professional development and attend professional meetings.
- Attend scheduled Jacksonville University and BRCHS, Skills Lab, STAR Center, and HSC meetings and activities as deemed necessary by University or Executive Director of HSC.
- Participate in recruitment and public relation activities of Jacksonville University and the HSC.
- Participate in Jacksonville University, HSC and Simulation organization committees.
- Network & facilitate community marketing of the HSC with goal of increasing contractual agreement use of facility by various community partners as well as professional healthcare residency programs.
- Facilitate & provide various continuing educational unit (CEU) opportunities for nursing & healthcare professionals.
- Train & facilitate the direct operation of the HSC as an American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center (or other designated agency) to provide various AHA including but not limited to First Aide, BLS (Basic Life Support), PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) & ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) training for community partners & services.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Essential Job Duties
- 12-month, full-time Simulation Instructor
- Requirement to work during the Jacksonville University holiday campus closure(s) for HSC agreement provision of services. The number of days worked will be provided back as alternate days to be taken off.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Computer literate
- Grant writing and research experience
- Innovative Best Practice (EVB) simulation curriculum development, implementation, and use of simulation technology.
- Ability to evaluate learners in the teaching/learning simulation lab environment.
- Knowledge of effective teaching techniques and curriculum development.
- Skill in facilitating development of learner problem solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with HSC team, Jacksonville University faculty and staff, and interdisciplinary community partners.
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus.
- Some off-campus travel required.
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion.
- Flexibility of schedule to work days, evenings or weekends as directed by Executive Director.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- No limitations on physical lifting ability of simulation manikins and equipment up to 80 lbs.
- No Latex Allergy.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required from an accredited institution.
- Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) from an accredited institution preferred.
- Simulation experience preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Five years of clinical nursing.
- Two years of Interdisciplinary EVB simulation and curriculum development including proficiency in the operation of simulation manikins, scenarios, debriefing and recording equipment.
- HPS operation and clinical scenario development/instruction
Clinical expertise in one of the following specialty areas:
- Medical Surgical, Emergency, Critical Care
- Previous teaching experience
- Grant research and writing experience
- Unencumbered current Florida nursing license or is eligible to obtain a nursing license in the state of Florida.
- Current BLS and ACLS
- AHA Instructor preferred
- CNA/HHA Certified Instructor preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit letter of interest emphasizing experience and potential, a curriculum vitae, Jacksonville University application and background check authorization, three letters of reference and unofficial transcripts via email to: email@example.com.