- Office of Human Resources
- Announcements and Dates
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Opportunities
- Faculty & Staff Resources
- Forms & Documents
- Employee Health and Wellness
- Training and Development
- Employees Only
- Meet Your Staff
Senior Director of Development
This position is no longer available.
Senior Director of Development
The Senior Director of Development will manage the major gifts and frontline fundraising team providing leadership to support the cultivation, solicitation and securing of major gifts for Jacksonville University. Emphasis will be on completion of the current, comprehensive ASPIRE Campaign and building a strong, sustainable path to JU's future fundraising initiatives through planned giving.
The Senior Director of Development will develop, evaluate, adjust and implement strategies for a comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan, while managing their own portfolio of major prospects/donors. As a mentor, he or she will lead the fundraisers by example in meeting annual goals with alumni and friends of the University. He or She will be a key advisor to the Chief Advancement Officer and provide input on goal setting.
The Senior Director of Development is responsible for budget recommendations and managing, coaching, evaluating and hiring direct reports including the director of major gifts, director of planned giving, director of corporate and foundation relations, and the director of athletic development. He or she will coordinate all fundraising activities, including identification, qualification, assignment of prospects, as well as cultivation, solicitation, closure and stewardship. Working in coordination with the alumni association he or she will identify and cultivate a major gifts pipeline in key markets.
The Senior Director of Development will build and maintain a strong team of development professionals. Utilizing a comprehensive set of formalized development metrics, he or she will measure, evaluate, and report monthly on staff performance. Also, he or she will coach/lead the staff, developing a strong sense of teamwork and, by establishing an environment of collegiality and support, bring cohesion to the department.
This position will work closely with the Senior Director of Advancement Services and Operations and the Senior Director for Donor Relations and their teams to ensure a cooperative and interdependent system of identifying, qualifying, visiting, soliciting, stewarding and moving prospects/donors along the donor continuum to ensure effectiveness in the comprehensive campaign.
Essential Job Duties
- Manage frontline fundraising staff of four to six
- Set strategy for major gifts and campaign solicitations for direct reports and their respective assigned academic units and athletic teams
- Identify prospects for major gifts in partnership with the Database and Research Manager
- Qualify, cultivate and solicit campaign gifts from his/her portfolio
- Participate in campaign cabinet meetings and strategy sessions as requested
- Provide budgetary and goal setting inputs annually
- Ensure the input of accurate information into the Raiser's Edge database.
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual strategic development plan for a department
- Expertise in developing solicitation strategies
- Knowledge of the Jacksonville and Florida philanthropic communities;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Excellent oral communications skills;
- Ability to use discretionary judgment; and excellent computer skills
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events is required for special events
- Off-campus travel is required; occasionally, position may require travel beyond the Jacksonville metropolitan area.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise cause by telephones and office machines
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor's Degree, advanced degree preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Seven to ten years of fundraising experience most of which in a higher education setting
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment
- Strong familiarity with fundraising and relationship management software, preferably Raiser's Edge
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and fiscal management skills
- Professional experience in higher education advancement strongly preferred
- Knowledge of the Jacksonville philanthropic community strongly preferred
- Master's degree preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.