- Office of Human Resources
- Announcements and Dates
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Opportunities
- Faculty & Staff Resources
- Forms & Documents
- Employee Health and Wellness
- Training and Development
- Employees Only
- Meet Your Staff
This position is no longer available.
The Payroll Manager will:
- Possess at least 5 years payroll experience to include supervisory, accounting, and technical expertise.
- Possess a “can do” team player attitude.
- Possess strong relationship building and communications skills both in person and in writing.
- Possess expertise in the application of generally accepted accounting principles for not-for-profit activities in a higher education environment.
- Possess knowledge of fiscal controls related to safeguarding of institutional funds.
This position reports to the Assistant Controller. The Controller’s Office oversees the accounting, financial, and reporting responsibilities of the University working collaboratively across campus with all divisions.
Essential Job Duties
- Manage and process employee and student payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Supervise payroll staff.
- Ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect our current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time.
- Ensure timely remittance of all payroll related taxes including 941 and unemployment.
- Annual w-2 processing.
- Review and analyze payroll, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Incumbent must possess a high level of independence in accomplishing the responsibilities of the position.
- Incumbent must be self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Incumbent will provide leadership to staff, including but not limited to hiring, training, and supervision. The Payroll Manager will monitor work allocation, evaluate employee performance, make recommendations for personnel actions, and motivate staff to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll tax regulations
- Ability to determine changes in regulations that affect our policies and procedures related to payroll.
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze accounting and administrative systems to ensure accuracy and recommend and initiate modifications if necessary.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills in order to develop proposals, professional reports, strategic plans, and correspondence.
Goals and Objectives of the Position
- Ensure proper recognition of payroll expenses.
- Ensure legal and university compliance requirements related to the timely processing of employee taxes.
- Facilitate the coordination of office processes to provide quality customer service.
Difficulty and Complexity
- This position requires a high degree of professionalism and an ability to interact with a variety of entities and individuals to significantly increase the visibility of the University.
- Evening/weekend work may be required.
- While limited physical exertion is involved, considerable mental and emotional pressures exist.
- The ability to coordinate a variety of tasks simultaneously and handle tension and stress in a positive manner is required.
- No risks or discomforts are imposed upon this position by the physical surroundings or job situation.
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings
- Some off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Ability to lift and load event materials as well as set-up/break-down event displays.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Five years or more of accounting and managerial experience in a Payroll department in a higher education environment.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Applicants should apply to firstname.lastname@example.org