This position is no longer available.
Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences
The BRCHS Lab Instructor works in a team-based environment within the Brooks Rehabilitation College of Healthcare Sciences to assist the BRCHS Lab Coordinators in the daily operation, maintenance, and utilization of the labs. The BRCHS Lab Instructor will work under the direction of the BRCHS Lab Coordinators.
Essential Job Duties
- Manage responsibility for assigned courses, including coordination and collaboration with appropriate faculty.
- Coordinate the scheduling of assigned undergraduate nursing, graduate nursing, and other healthcare science courses in the labs through the communication of submission deadlines, collection and verification of submission requirements, and confirmation of scheduled lab time with faculty. Provide electronic records of all course/simulation activities to BRCHS Assistant & SP Coordinator for filing.
- In conjunction with the BRCHS Lab Assistant & SP Coordinator, participate in the management of the labs' Outlook inbox and various calendars. This includes notifying the BRCHS Lab Assistant & SP Coordinator of schedule changes as well as communications that need sent to faculty and students.
- Collaborate with faculty for assigned courses to maximize utilization of labs in respective classes and develop simulations based on NLN best practices.
- Advise the BRCHS Assistant & SP Coordinator regarding needs of standardized patients (SPs) for simulation in assigned courses and provide SPs preparatory information prior to the course and/or simulation date.
- Lead skill demonstrations, reinforce classroom content, and/or participate in simulations for assigned courses that are scheduled in the lab. Manage and direct operation of simulators to facilitate student learning objectives. Evaluate students' learning and skill acquisition at the discretion of faculty.
- Develop and create ways to enhance learning through student-led skill demonstrations, lunch & learns, simulator/lab equipment tutorials, and/or other coordinated activities. In collaboration with faculty, develop, incorporate, and schedule focused workshops tailored to student areas of interest and/or identified areas of weakness on ATI exams.
- Work with faculty to plan and execute remediation process to meet the learning objectives of assigned courses. Communicate to faculty student outcomes as well as any related recommendations.
- Collect and analyze lab utilization data for assigned courses, share results with appropriate faculty, and collaborate on needed process changes to enhance experience in the lab. Provide feedback to BRCHS Lab Coordinators on a monthly basis regarding operations for assigned courses.
- Develop and implement consistent survey practices for assigned courses to determine effectiveness of simulation on student learning, critical thinking, and clinical decision-making. Discuss findings with faculty course coordinator for potential improvements.
- Organize and execute the set-up and break down of equipment and materials for scheduled courses and simulations in the lab and/or classrooms. This includes, as needed, standardized patient moulage, briefing pre-simulation, and debriefing post simulation.
- Assist with maintenance of inventory by informing BRCHS Lab Assistant & SP Coordinator of lab equipment, materials, and supplies used as well as what is needed for assigned courses.
- Inform BRCHS Lab Assistant & SP Coordinator of need for scholarship recipient students and student workers as related to assigned courses. Direct and supervise their time in the lab by providing clear objectives and goals.
- Assist with proctoring, demonstrating, and instructing for other courses, as needed.
- Serve as a mentor and role model to all students in the lab.
- Abide by BRCHS lab policies and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining general cleanliness of the lab.
- Provide general security of the lab. Appropriately dispose of hazardous materials.
- Remain current with developments in the field of simulation technology and learning theory.
- Attend regularly scheduled JU KSON meetings and activities, as appropriate.
- Participate in professional development and attend professional meetings and/or conferences.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Technologically savvy with proficiency in Microsoft Applications (Windows, Outlook, and Office).
- Familiar with healthcare environment and operations, proficient in medical terminology, and well versed in nursing clinical practices.
- Knowledge of case scenario and simulation development.
- Able to work with self-initiative and autonomy.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Primarily indoors except when traveling between campus buildings.
- Works flexible, variable hours with a 40 hours week schedule flexing to cover earlier mornings, later evenings, or weekends according to the needs of the BRCHS faculty and students.
- Work is performed under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines.
- Near and far vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens.
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone.
- Physical strength capable of lifting, pushing, and pulling equipment weighing up to 70 lbs.
- No latex allergy.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- BSN, MSN preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Unencumbered Florida RN license.
- Current BLS, current ACLS preferred.
- 3-5 years clinical RN experience.
- Specialty certification in simulation preferred.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested candidates, send all application materials to Maranda Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.