- Office of Human Resources
- Announcements and Dates
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Opportunities
- Faculty & Staff Resources
- Forms & Documents
- Employee Health and Wellness
- Training and Development
- Employees Only
- Meet Your Staff
Grants & Contracts Administrator
Grants and Contracts Administrator
Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
Reporting to the Director of Research and Sponsored Projects, the Grants and Contracts Administrator provides specialized support for activities related to the full lifecycle of sponsored program administration. Areas of responsibility include identification of funding sources, proposal submission, contract negotiation, sub-award issuance, and non-financial post-award administration related to funding provided in the form of grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts from external/internal funding sources (e.g., federal agencies, state agencies, private companies, or foundations).
Essential Job Duties
- Assists Director in the review, update, and development of policies and procedures for ORSP functions, with emphasis on pre-award processes and project administration.
- Oversees the ORSP web site and other outreach to the JU research community, including campus, departmental, and one-on-one training related to ORSP policies and procedures.
- Aids in protecting the institution from non-compliance with sponsor policies and is highly proactive in dealing with all aspects of grant management.
- Provides guidance and support to individual and groups of faculty and staff developing new proposals; advises on and supports budget preparation and formatting of proposals to meet sponsor and University requirements, internal review process and program guidelines. Ensures all proposed costs are allocable, allowable, and align with regulations set forth in the OMB 2 CFR 200.
- Reviews and edits eligible proposals for grammar, punctuation, clarity and responsiveness to funding opportunity.
- Reviews the terms and conditions of agreements and subawards; recommends acceptance or modifications and liaises with JU General Counsel; monitors awards and subrecipients for compliance with University, state, federal, and sponsor requirements.
- Formally communicates with sponsors, pass-through entities and subrecipients for proposal submissions, report submissions, prior approval requests and amendments/revisions via phone, email, and electronic research administration portals.
- Coordinates and participates in outreach and training for faculty and staff in grantsmanship as well as in the use of electronic research administration portals and grant search databases.
- Maintains accurate records of pre and post award actions via the ORSP Work log (Excel) and Project Database (Access).
- Assists the Director with planning, maintaining, and tracking annual funding opportunities and reporting deadlines.
- Works independently and as a team member; exercises logic, discretion, and good judgement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, Masters preferred, in English or Communications with a writing emphasis. Will consider other degrees, especially those in disciplines related to STEM. Education or certification relevant to sponsored programs highly desirable.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of pre-award functions typical of a PUI;
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail;
- Strong understanding and application of OMB’s Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200;
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite software, especially Word, Excel and Access;
- Knowledge of PIVOT funding database;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills;
- Must be highly proactive, with ability to distinguish between high and low priority tasks; and can work efficiently under occasional tight time constraints;
- Professional and friendly demeanor, integrity, tact and good judgement;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with absolute discretion;
- Strong facilitation & presentation skills, budgeting and planning skills;
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends to meet deadlines, if needed.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Please do not submit letters of reference or any other documentation until formally requested. Final candidates may be required to submit writing samples. Significant experience with pre-award functions and research administration an absolute must.