Editorial Services Coordinator
This position is no longer available.
Editorial Services Coordinator
Office of Marketing & Communications
This position reports to the Senior Director of Public and Media Relations within the department of Marketing and Communications. The Editorial Services Coordinator is responsible for writing for a variety of internal and external communications, including corporate communications, speeches, press releases, advertising and marketing copy, website content, social media, magazine feature articles and newsletters, as well as capturing images and visuals to support content. This position is responsible for supporting editorial and marketing content creation for traditional and digital platforms.
Essential Job Duties
- Research, write, and/or edit, and proofread content for University print and online publications, including WAVE Magazine (print and online), annual report, academic catalogs, special events collateral, internal and external electronic newsletters, print and online ads, and web copy.
- Interview and write about students, alumni, faculty and staff, donors and friends of the University in support of print and online content
- Capture photographs and visuals as needed to support content creation and marketing materials
- Assist with presentations, correspondence, speech writing and campus email communications as needed
- Support public relations and media relations initiatives, such as writing press releases, media advisories and supporting story materials for media, as well as story development and pitching.
- Assist with copy editing, fact checking and proofreading for a variety of content and communications as needed.
- Assist with admission and institutional advancement marketing materials and proposals, such as direct mail, email campaigns, brochures, donor proposals, etc., as needed.
- Maintain content calendars and coordinate with other departments and Marketing & Communications to develop story coverage plans, including supporting visuals, interviews, and unique story angles.
- Uphold best practices and ensure branding consistency across departments and platforms.
- Post to social media accounts as needed
- Support other writing and editing needs of the marketing office as requested.
- Experience with writing for a variety of content in a deadline-driven environment, with strong news and feature writing skills, in particular.
- Ability to develop creative story ideas and angles and to write compelling content for a broad audience
- Ability to discern appropriate tone, language and subject matter to support strategic goals of Marketing and Communications and to elevate the profile and prestige of the University.
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills, with ability to manage multiple priorities/projects under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Knowledge of AP style
- Experience with photographer and/or videography is preferred
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires job candidate to be in an outdoor environment when covering stories, traveling between campus buildings or covering/supporting events on and off campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Will be exposed to standard office noise due to open-concept office space shared with colleagues
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, English or related field
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in freelance writing and/or editorial writing
- Significant experience in writing and editing; previous writing in academics and/or higher education a plus.
- Full knowledge of grammar and AP style
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Google platforms (Google Docs, Basecamp, etc), WordPress, Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Please send application materials to Laura Phelps at email@example.com.