Director of Student involvement
Director of Student Involvement
Division of Student Affairs
The Division of Student Affairs is seeking a dynamic professional committed to our mission of building a student-centered learning community. The Division is responsible for programs, services, and initiatives that support the academic mission of the University, promote retention and student satisfaction, and provide students with opportunities for life experiences and personal development.
The University is seeking a Director of Student Involvement to provide visionary leadership for the Department of Student Involvement within the Division of Student Affairs. The Director of Student Involvement is responsible for providing vision, oversight and management of campus co-curricular events and activities; identifying and facilitating opportunities to increase student engagement in campus life especially on evenings and weekends; expanding opportunities for student leadership; soliciting student involvement in program, publication, and event planning; supporting student clubs and organizations and student media groups; helping identify and support faculty/staff advisors; developing and coordinating various programs and activities; actively contributing to the expansion and transformation of the Jacksonville student experience; and supporting and collaborating with other members of the university.
The Director works with fraternity and sorority officers or leaders and their chapters, alumni/alumnae, inter/national headquarters, and campus colleagues to design, plan and implement activities and programs for the Greek community. The Director's work focuses on supporting student leaders and addressing issues of health and safety, hazing, bystander behavior, leadership, diversity and inclusion.
The Director of Student Involvement will serve as one of the coordinators of software based organization management system, Presence, which provides electronic resources for all student organizations, clubs and advisors.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Students, this position is a 12-month, full-time position with primary responsibility for leadership and management of a comprehensive student involvement program.
Essential Job Duties
- Responsible for support, attendance and participation in Student Involvement meetings and programs, and representation on various committees or at special events, including those on evenings and weekends;
- Directs and manages Dolphin Productions programming board that provides major campus events and entertainment to increase student satisfaction;
- Administers advising support to the Student Government Association and all student organizations in the areas of event planning, organizational development, contract negotiation/oversight, and budget development;
- Assists in the interpretation and enforcement of University policies and procedures related to student organizations and campus programs;
- Designs and implements student leadership programs and facilitates and supports services related to the fraternities and sororities;
- Serves as advisor to Panhellenic, Interfraternity, and NPHC Council and Greek affiliated honoraries;
- Collaborates with individual chapter alumni and officers to assist them serve their Greek chapter;
- Serves as point person for all fraternity expansion and sorority extension efforts;
- Participates fully in Student Affairs and Student Involvement functions, meetings, and programs;
- Serves as a resource/representative to the university community as requested on topics of student involvement;
- Supervises student staff and graduate assistants;
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of student development theory, leadership development, and experience in programming models, retention efforts, best practices, student organizations and supervision of college aged
- Energetic, student-centered, and team oriented professional who has a demonstrated record of leadership and student organization advising.
- Successful candidates must have considerable experience in student programming.
- Demonstrated conceptual knowledge and experience in student leadership development programs.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to manage projects to successful
- Demonstrated experience related to diversity and inclusion in higher
- Demonstrated experience in working with fraternities and
- Experience in handling multiple priorities and handling
- Competence in fiscal resource
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when
- Standard office hours are 8:30 m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Frequent evening and weekend hours are
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Master’s degree in higher education/student affairs or related field from a regionally accredited college or university;
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible, full-time professional experience, on a college or university campus;
- High level of comfort with frequent student contact and ability to advise diverse student groups;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully balance, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment, while providing superior constituent service;
- Knowledge of University processes, procedures and regulations;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, student-centered environment;
- Excellent oral, written, computer, problem-solving, critical thinking, and fiscal management skills.
- Master’s Degree in the area of Leadership/Education, with 5+ years of higher education or retention services;
- Previous experience with software based organization management systems;
- Ability and experience to supervise student employees.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Jacksonville University actively seeks application from individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences
We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and the academic experience. EOE.
Please send application materials to DaVina Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org