Director of Residential Life
Director of Residential Life
The Department of Residential Life is committed to providing a place of belonging for the residential students at Jacksonville University. We act as champion for our residents, seeking to create safe space where every person is honored and celebrated in their individuality and personal identity. Our department is often responding to crisis and conflict resulting in high emotions. We prioritize transparency in our service to students and our community.
Our team values empathy, vulnerability, and a spirit of learning. We believe in fun! As professionals living with college students, we share in a unique work experience. Our team strives to support one another and show up as community members. We are interested in holding one another accountable and thrive on openness to new ideas.
As the Director of Residential Life, you will mentor the Assistant Director of Residential Life and the Associate Director of Operations, who then in-turn supervise the office staff and building coordinators. Your role is to provide the day-to-day support for a vibrant Residential Community, serving 1400 students living on campus. The Director of Residential Life will report to the Executive Director of Community Experience and Learning, who provides big-picture leadership and strategic vision. You will be successful in this role if you are energized by people interaction, team mentorship, collaboration, and are interested in embracing the grey that comes with serving people well. Please note, this is not a live-on position.
- Supervise and mentor professional staff, understanding the specific needs of a live-on team;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to provide leadership in the continuous development and strategic planning of a comprehensive Residential Life program;
- Take an active role in the oversight and development of Residential Affinity Communities and a Faculty in Residence program;
- Assist in Residential Life record keeping, data entry, and maintenance of related databases, including creating and maintaining reporting within Star Rez housing software;
- Partner with the Associate Director in editing and creating the housing selection process for both new and current students;
- Respond, in a positive and collaborative manner, to needs and concerns of students, parents, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Serve in the Senior On Call evening/weekend duty rotation providing leadership and support for the Pro Staff On Call members
- Develop and implement operational guidelines, policies, and procedures, including responsibility for the departmental budget;
- Serve as a university-level conduct officer within the institution’s student conduct process;
- Work directly with the university facilities leadership team to ensure a high level
of facility care and
- Master’s degree in higher education/student affairs or related field from a regionally accredited college or university;
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible, full-time professional experience, in residence life and housing on a college or university campus;
- High level of comfort with frequent student contact and being accessible outside of traditional office hours;
- Experience supervising full-time, live-on professionals;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully balance, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks in an active, fastpaced environment, while providing excellent service;
- Knowledge of current developments/trends, as well as best practices, in residential life and housing;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, student-centered environment;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Computer proficiency required, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Outlook, and database management;
- Ability to work with diverse student populations in a safe and welcoming environment;
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion when handling sensitive material and information;
- Experience in residence life and housing at a small or medium-sized liberal arts college or university;
- Experience supervising mid-level managers;
- Experience with Star Rez and creating housing applications;
- Experience with athletic, honors, and/or Greek life residential housing;
- Experience managing apartment buildings within a residential community;
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants should submit responses to the questions outlined below along with a copy of their resume to Jenny Boyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. What drew you to this position at Jacksonville University? (250 words max)
2. When have you thrived as a leader? (250 words max)
3. What is the last thing you learned? (250 words max)
4. What do you think is essential to resolving conflict? (250 words max)
5. What unique lens personally or professionally would you bring to Residential Life? (250 words max)