Director of Public & Media Relations
This position is no longer available.
Director of Public & Media Relations
Office of Marketing & Communications
The Office of Marketing & Communications at Jacksonville University seeks a Director of Public & Media Relations. This role will serve as the master storyteller for the university through two primary means: public relations and media relations.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Create relationships and procedures internally and externally to collect stories about the JU community and strategically use that content to tell the JU story
- Act as spokesperson on a variety of issues and topics, as assigned
- Effectively pitch stories and multimedia packages to secure placements in traditional and new media, with emphasis on high-impact national and international news media
- Foster relationships with key local, national and international members of the press to better facilitate earned media opportunities for the institution
- Provide both outbound and inbound media relations support including, but not limited to: inquiry response, pitch development and execution, and story coordination
- Support the Office through the development of editorial calendars, campaign planning and execution, and production management
- Draft, edit, and manage the development of communications materials for both traditional and digital channels
- Support the creation and editing of press releases, success stories, bylined articles, white papers, Power Points, blogs and both email and print newsletters
- Collaborate with departments to build, maintain, and grow contact list to be used in marketing, outreach, and information notices
- Coordinate media access to campus and provide media management for special events
- Provide copy, editing, and distribution support for campus announcements and emails to students, faculty, and staff
- Collaborate with editorial group to maximize effective usage of content
- Organize, coordinate, and implement press conferences, speaking engagements, ceremonies, and other public relations events
- Work with Senior Vice President of Marketing & Communications to counsel senior leadership on media relations activities
- Support the Office team with analyzing and monitoring ongoing activities and campaigns
- Proactively stay informed of relevant issues and trends in higher education, communications and areas in which the University has expertise; position and place university experts in national media to address trending topics
- Ensure the Office delivers excellent customer service to its constituents and key audiences
To be successful in this position, you should demonstrate or have:
- 5-7 years of experience or demonstrated equivalency in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related fields
- Strong writing and editing skills and have the ability to understand and translate complex concepts into lay terms
- Ability to leverage University assets (faculty and student research, Division I Athletics programs, University president, etc.) to strategically communicate the institution’s unique value proposition
- Strong ability to exercise sound judgment, including demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of publication and information release to internal and external audiences
- Proficiency with digital and print content development tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress or other website CMS)
- Familiarity with tools like Meltwater, Cision, Vocus, GroupHigh, Muck Rack, etc.
- Basic photography and video production skills
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends, as necessary)
Additional preferences include:
- On-air experience or experience as spokesperson
- Working proficiency with video editing and production tools (e.g. Adobe Premier, Final Cut)
- Publication experience
- Familiarity with AP style
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
To apply, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Public & Media Relations: [Your Name]” and the following materials: your resume, a JU employment application, and a cover letter summarizing your thoughts on why you are the ideal candidate for this position.