Chief Advancement Officer, Athletics
Chief Advancement Officer, Athletics
Jacksonville University seeks a Chief Advancement Officer for Jacksonville Athletics.
- Build, cultivate, and solicit a portfolio of prospects at the major gift or principal level
- Strategize giving and engagement efforts with leadership and coaches for the benefit of fundraising initiatives within the department including capital projects, Dolphin Dash, Tip Off Club, etc.
- Capitalize on the success and unprecedented excitement for Jacksonville Athletics to cultivate beneficial relationships with prospective supporters from alumni, parents, and friends of the university through high-touch and mass engagement strategies to increase prospect engagement
- Foster collaborative and open communication with all coaches and teams to identify needs within the Athletics Department
- Manage the growth strategy, implementation, and evaluation for athletics fundraising
- Enhance board member engagement to help maximize the fundraising potential of JAX Backers and other sport specific advisory boards
- Work with the Senior Vice President of Strategic Operations and Athletic Director to grow sponsorships for Athletics while driving revenue for the University; serve as the primary liaison with Van Wagner
- Work alongside the Senior Vice President of Strategic Operations to establish a plan with specific goals and timetables to raise major and planned gifts within the scope of special projects, campaigns, endowment or annual fundraising needs
- Focus on principal gifts together with the Senior Vice President of Strategic Operations and Athletic Director to develop and solicit an increasingly refined and well-researched pool of transformational gift prospects
- Enhance cultivation strategies for top prospects and donors through high-level engagement programming that aligns programming with unit fundraising initiatives
- Leads prospect management and moves management operations for major gift officers, and applying best practices to strengthen/maintain a high-quality pool
- Partner with top university leaders, including the President, Provost, Senior Vice President for Strategic Operations, Deans, and campaign counsel as well as the senior leaders of University Advancement to provide strategic planning and implementation of the University’s multi-million-dollar capital campaign
- Develop and implement strategies with fundraisers, marketing, donor relations, prospect research, and engagement teams as needed for the benefit of the campaign
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of Development to advance the strategies of gift officers as they cultivate and solicit principal and major planned gifts
This position will develop and implement strategies with fundraisers, marketing, donor relations, prospect research, and engagement teams as needed for the benefit of the campaign.
- Must understand and be conversant in the business and vernacular or intercollegiate athletics
- Ability to construct, articulate and implement an annual strategic development plan for a department
- Expertise in developing solicitation strategies
- Knowledge of the Jacksonville and Florida philanthropic communities
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral communications skills
- Ability to use discretionary judgment and excellent computer skills
- Work is primarily indoors,but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings, visiting outdoor sports facilities or being off-campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events is required
- Off-campus travel is required; occasionally, position may require travel beyond the Jacksonville metropolitan area.
- Incumbent will be exposed to frequent noise cause by telephones and office machines
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree, advanced degree preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Five to seven years of fundraising experience most of which in a higher education setting or transferable field, Division 1 Athletics preferred
- Ability to successfully balance and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment
- Strong familiarity with fundraising and relationship management software, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Excellent oral, written, computer, and fiscal management skills
- Professional experience in higher education advancement strongly preferred
- Knowledge of the Jacksonville philanthropic community strongly preferred
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Covid Vaccination Information: Faculty and Staff
All Jacksonville University employees who work at any JU facility must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For more information regarding the JU vaccination policy, please click the link below.JU Vaccination Policy
Interested applicants are asked to submit a JU application along with a copy of their resume, cover letter, and list of references to Mary Anne Jolly at firstname.lastname@example.org.