Associate Controller and Senior Director of Accounting and Financial Services
Associate Controller and Senior Director
Accounting and Financial services
The Associate Controller and Senior Director provides hands-on leadership and support to the accounting and financial services team. This position is responsible for creating and sustaining a culture of excellence, superior service, collaboration, integrity, data informed decision-making, and compliance. The AC/SD will lead a key University department and serve as a strategic financial partner to the University’s leadership team as well as academic and administrative departments. As a hands-on leader, the AC/SD will directly lead and participate in, among other activities, the accounting, tax, compliance, internal and financial controls, financial reporting, treasury, accounts payable, and payroll activities of the University. The incumbent serves as a dynamic leader and will supervise, train, coach, and mentor team members within the department. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Finance and Business Operations and serves as the VPs principal advisor on all accounting, financial, and fiscal health matters of the University. Finally, this position develops and implements strategies for effectively managing all financial assets of the University as well as monitoring the University’s fiscal health and financial success.
Essential Job Duties
- Lead and direct the work of the accounting and financial services team, including, but not limited to, coaching and training, supervising personnel, assigning tasks, and project management.
- As the leader of the accounting team, oversee the day-to-day operations of the Jacksonville University Accounting and Financial Services department, including, but not limited to, department administration, setting the mission, vision, and goals of the department, and ensuring superior internal and external service and collaboration.
- Develop, analyze, and interpret financial reports and accounting information to inform decision-making and ensure compliance. Provide comprehensive financial updates to relevant stakeholders and the senior leadership team at regular intervals and upon request.
- Oversee and, when necessary, perform all general accounting, payroll, investment, endowment management, grant management, and treasury functions directly and through the Director of Accounting and Treasury Services.
- Lead in the creation, modification, and analysis of monthly, audit, and general financial statements both directly and through the Manager of Financial Operations and Compliance. Partner with the Manager to create and edit the Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) as well as to submit approved financial statements to the Vice President for review.
- Act as the primary liaison with independent auditors to coordinate, perform, and manage the annual financial audit, single audit for federal and state grants, NCAA audit, and employee benefit plan audit; prepare various schedules and reports, and gather and review information prepared by others required for these audits.
- Manage directly as well as through the Director of Accounting and Treasury Services the University’s treasury services.
- Maintain and update accounting records, accounting policies and procedures, charts of accounts, GL structure, and a system of internal controls over accounting transactions. Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize the protection of assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all accounting and finance transactions and processes in compliance with GAAP and FASB standards.
- Enhance and develop University accounting and reporting procedures and regulations, including, but not limited to, associated training and preparation, identification of problematic issues, and compliance with external accounting and reporting requirements and requests.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, contracts, and grants.
- Review and analyze potential legislation, standards, and guidance relevant to accounting and all financial matters. Lead in the implementation of compliance, legal, and audit updates as well as new standards and legal requirements.
- Manage and analyze financial statements, payroll, budgets, compliance issues, and other financial and accounting activities.
- Coordinate either directly or through the Manager of Financial Operations and Compliance, the monthly and year-end close process, NCAA reporting, 990 preparation, taxes, and internal workflow audits. This includes, but is not limited to, performing and reviewing journal entries and reconciliations.
- Direct the University’s Accounts Payable program to include, but not limited to, check runs, p-cards, credit cards, IRS and regulatory reporting, customer service, and vendor relations.
- Oversee the University’s payroll program, including, but not limited to, compliance, tax, services, and program enhancements.
- As a hands-on leader, this position will directly perform various accounting and financial activities to support the needs of the department and University.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or another relevant field of study
- An active CPA license
- Three years of supervisory experience with demonstrated success in leading others and team building
- Experience ensuring compliance with state/federal funding, grants, and endowments
- Commitment to the student, employee, and stakeholder success
- Creativity, initiative, judgment, and exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to be an effective leader and decision-maker, as well as a creative problem solver
- Proven resourcefulness to include entrepreneurial financial and accounting leadership
- Ability to think creatively and outside of the box
- Experience with data-driven and informed decision making in a complex high paced environment
- Commitment to coaching, mentoring and investing in team members
- Experience leading through, and navigating, change
- Relevant experience and/or education may be considered in lieu of the listed qualifications
This position requires a bachelor's degree in accounting, business, finance, or another relevant course of study and a minimum of five years of relevant experience, including at least one year of supervisory experience. In addition, this position requires a firm understanding of GAAP, experience preparing and reviewing financial statements and reports, as well as proficiency in accounting systems and excel. Exceptional interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills, as well as demonstrated superior communication, collaboration, project management, and leadership skills are required.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
Interested applicants, send all application material to Associate Controller/Senior Director Search at email@example.com.