Assistant Director of Residential Life
Assistant Director of Residential Life
The Department of Residential Life is committed to providing a place of belonging
for the residential students at
Jacksonville University. We act as champion for our residents, seeking to create safe space where every person is honored and celebrated in their individuality and personal identity. Our department is often responding to crisis and conflict resulting in high emotions. We prioritize transparency in our service to students and our community.
Our team values empathy, vulnerability, and a spirit of learning. We believe in fun!
As professionals living with
college students, we share in a unique work experience. Our team strives to support one another and show up as community members. We are interested in holding one another accountable and thrive on openness to new ideas.
As the Assistant Director (AD), your mission would be to mentor our Coordinator team
and oversee our student
leadership program. We have an incredible team of RAs, and as AD, you would provide organization for their hiring and training. You will be successful in this role if you are energized by people interaction, brainstorming, creating moments of fun within learning, and are interested in embracing the grey that comes with serving people well.
- Provide leadership and 1:1 mentoring to 4 full-time staff members;
- Organize and oversee Resident Advisor hiring and training, include the curriculum for the JU 201 leadership course;
- Hire and lead the Winter Break RA team;
- Manage the Desk Assistant program, including hiring, training and partnership with Student Financial Aid;
- Teach JU 201, a leadership course for Resident Advisor candidates as needed;
- Advise student-run committees within the department, and participate in departmental, division, and university committees and task forces;
- Take an active role in the oversight and development of Residential Affinity Communities and a Faculty in Residence program;
- In conjunction with other staff, assist in Residential Life record keeping, data entry, and maintenance of related databases, including creating and maintaining reporting within Star Rez housing software;
- Respond, in a positive and collaborative manner, to needs and concerns of students, parents, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Serve on evening/weekend duty rotation for an on-campus population of 1,400 students, determined by the Director of Residential Life;
- Potential to serve on the Senior On Call level with the Director of Residential Life and Student Affairs Dean’s Office;
- Master’s degree in higher education/student affairs or related field from a regionally accredited college or university;
- 3-5 years of experience working in Residential Life
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high level of dedication to providing excellent customer service;
- High level of comfort with frequent student contact and being accessible outside of traditional office hours;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully balance, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks in an active, fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions, while providing superior constituent service;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Computer proficiency required, including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Outlook, and database management;
- Experience working in an administrative capacity;
- Ability to work with diverse student populations in a safe and welcoming environment;
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion when handling sensitive material and information.
- 5-7 years of experience working in Residential Life
- Experience leading an RA hiring and training process
- Experience supervising full-time, live-on professionals
- Experience in residence life and housing at a small or medium-sized liberal arts college or university; and
- Experience with athletic, fraternity, and sorority residential housing.
This position requires the Assistant Director to reside on campus, in an apartment provided by the university, with utilities provided. A partial meal plan is provided, subject to the schedule of on-campus dining facilities.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
In lieu of a cover letter, please respond the questions below and submit along with your resume to:
Jenny Boyer, M.Ed.
Director of Residential Life
Electronic Mail: email@example.com
1. What drew you to this position at Jacksonville University? (250 words max)
2. What have you done in the past to create the right team dynamic? (250 words max)
3. When have you needed to make an important decision at work and how did you come to that decision? (250
4. Tell us about a difficult interaction you had with a student, client, or teammate. How did you come to a place
of resolution? (250 words max)
5. What unique lens personally or professionally would you bring to Residential Life? (250 words max)
Jacksonville University actively seeks application from individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences
We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and the academic experience. EOE.