Advancement Communications Specialist
Advancement Communications Specialist
Marketing & Communications
Provide communications strategy and support to the Office of University Advancement, specifically Alumni and Parent & Family Engagement as well as fundraising campaigns, annual philanthropy, stewardship and donor relations.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and execute University Advancement communications roadmap in coordination with University Marketing and Communications
- Develop social media strategy for University Advancement including coordinating social media efforts for Advancement with overall University strategies in mind including strategic messaging as well as analysis and ROI
- Cultivate content and update web pages for University Advancement
- Partner with Engagement, Donor Relations/Stewardship, Annual Philanthropy, and Major Gifts teams to develop, manage and optimize the content calendar for email, social media and printed communications
- Draft content and design email communications including monthly e-newsletters for alumni, GOLD Phins, and families, as well as periodical newsletters for corporations, campaigns, and specific affinity groups
- Compile annual analytics for social media and email performance
- Assist with planning, coordination and staffing of advancement events including development of printed materials and online content
- Assist in identifying and sharing alumni and donor success stories and spotlights for print or digital
- Create and maintain event registration pages
- Manage printing, promotional items, vendors, etc.
- Design creative collateral for events and fundraising proposals
- Partner with Major Gifts team to formulate electronic and printed communications for donors and other campus partners
- Oversight of the collateral and communications approval process to ensure accuracy, branding and voice consistency
- Work closely with the Office of Marketing and Communications as appropriate on joint projects and initiatives
- Represent the interests of University Advancement in meetings with the Office of Marketing and Communications; contribute to editorial and design teams
- Gather and Prepare content for Class Notes section of JU’s WAVE Magazine
- Curate content through event photography as needed
- Supervise any additional staff added to the Advancement Communications team, including student workers
- Other duties as assigned
Goals and Objectives of the Position:
- Effective and strategic communications for targeted constituencies
- Professional volunteer engagement
- The goals of the University Advancement Office
- The mission of the University
Difficulty and Complexity:
- This position requires a high degree of professionalism, confidentiality and an ability to interact with a variety of entities and individuals to significantly increase the visibility of the University.
- Incumbent must be capable of conveying appropriate messages and representing the University to encourage and facilitate interest in and support of the University’s mission and goals.
- This position has a significant effect on the University’s ability to engage current and future donors in a meaningful way and is responsible for enhancing the University’s ability to identify, establish, create and maintain strong relationships.
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the areas of digital and social media.
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.
- Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective donors, and interact via electronic communications, telephone and in person with institutional peers.
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills in order to develop proposals, professional reports, strategic plans, and correspondence.
- Ability to use social media effectively and measure analytics across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- This position requires event participation and staffing; a healthy life style and physical mobility are necessary.
- Work venues vary from office, to social events, to presentations, to large and small meetings and interactions with individuals, involving a variety of environments.
- Evening/weekend work is sometimes required.
- The ability to coordinate a variety of tasks simultaneously
- No risks or discomforts are imposed upon this position by the physical surroundings or job situation.
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
- Ability to lift and load event materials as well as set-up/break-down event displays.
Prerequisites Required for Position
Minimum Education Requirement
- A bachelor’s degree and experience in events and strategic communications.
- Preference will be given to candidates with higher education social media and marketing experience
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and OLX
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required for this position. The University reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs.
All Jacksonville University employees who work on campus must be vaccinated for COVID-19. Documentation will be requested during onboarding. Our full vaccination policy is available online.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, staff application and 2-3 writing samples or design projects to Laura Phelps at email@example.com.